Another mobo/cpu question

Ladaman 22:41 04 Mar 03

The manufacturer of a certain motherboard has told me that it will accept up to a 3.00 GHz cpu if the bios is updated.

What i need confirming is that i can get the mobo and a 3.00 ghz cpu put it all together and THEN update the BIOS.

Logically, its seems that the bios would need updating BEFORE the mobo would boot up with this 3.00 CPU on.

woodchip 22:49 04 Mar 03

Do not think you can get a 3.00 GHz cpu yet I may be wrong as I do not run Intel.

But as you said you would have to boot the mobo with a smaller cpu so you could get to the prompt with a floppy disc to flash the bios

jediknight007 22:57 04 Mar 03

Well, it seems obvious that you wiill need to update the BIOS and then install the CPU. If your motherboard doesn't recognise the 3Ghz CPU, then how are you going to bootup sucessfully and update your BIOS?

Ladaman 21:27 05 Mar 03

woodchip - yes 3GHz is available even from AMD

jediknight - well this was my thinking but a retailer's email to me suggested that is was possible to put the 3 Ghz processor on then update the bios. Maybe it will work but not at 3Ghz until the bios is update... ????

Anyway, its all irrelevant, i have now realised that this processor would cost me £500!!

Kyomii 21:36 05 Mar 03

You *should be able to put the processor in but it will only run at the speed determined by the BIOS* until you update it.

*sometimes this may not work

Ladaman 21:42 05 Mar 03

nice one thank you !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…