another "limited or no connectivity"

mountie1 00:54 21 Apr 06

Here is my set up. I have an ibook and a dell laptop. Both acess the net through a netgear router. My ibook can always get on the net. The dell has been giving out the limited or no connectivity. Here is the weird part. As soon as the ibook goes online, the dell can then connect. When it couldnt connect, I checked the ip. it was 169... I know this is not correct. Why does it keep going back to this?? I tried ipconfig/renew and it then connected, but at the same time, my ibook was booting up, so i dont know if this really worked. SOme say this is a xp service pack 2 bug and to download the fix. I tried resetting winsock, didnt help. I dont know a whole lot about windows, but i am learning alot from doing research on this for weeks. It is driving me crazy.. Can ANYONE help me??????????????

mgmcc 08:38 21 Apr 06

<<< I tried ipconfig/renew and it then connected, but at the same time, my ibook was booting up, so i dont know if this really worked >>>

What happens if you run ipconfig /renew when the iBook is shut down?

I cannot see why the iBook should have any effect on the Dell if they both connect directly to the router and get their IP address and network/internet access from the router. I assume that you don't have Internet Connection Sharing set up on any connection in either the iBook or the Dell?

mountie1 17:51 21 Apr 06

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I have been posting everywhere and no one has replied!!! I am going to try to see if the renew ipconfig works when i get home. I dont see how my ibook is affecting this either, other than it is connecting to the router 1st, which is then sending it out to the dell. Why cant the dell obtain the ip address??? should i manually set it, and if so, how do i do this?? I dont have internet sharing set up on either. everything was working fine until about a week ago. SHould I try downloading the patch from microsoft??? thanks

mgmcc 19:24 21 Apr 06

<<< should i manually set it, and if so, how do i do this? >>>

While there is no problem in allocating a fixed IP address, the fact that it cannot get its address properly by DHCP might indicate a more fundamental problem. However, there is nothing to lose by trying it.

Open the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection or, if "Wireless", the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

In the box that opens, click "Use the following IP address" then enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.5

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (the Router's IP address)

DNS Server address - 192.168.0.1 (the Router's IP address)

Click OK to close the two boxes. I am assuming that you router has the IP address of 192.168.0.1 usually used in Netgear routers.

mountie1 15:23 22 Apr 06

now all day yesterday, it connected just fine, and this morning as well. If it starts up again, I will try manually setting it. does it matter that it is not the same ip address as the ibook??? what other fundamental problem could it be???

mgmcc 17:10 22 Apr 06

Each computer in a network must have a *UNIQUE* IP address, so the Dell must not have the same IP address as the iBook.

However, it must be in the *SAME* Subnet, i.e. the first three "octets" of its IP address must be 192.168.0 with only the final octet being different.

The Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 should be the *SAME* throughout the network.

mountie1 19:48 22 Apr 06

ok, now i just tried to renew the ip address. it wouldnt do it. it said it could not connect to the dhcp server... i tried to connect direct, no sucess. Again, once i went on with the ibook, it connected right away. I just downloaded a patch from microsoft. I will see if that works. After that, I will try to manually set the ip... any other suggestions? I really appreciate your help....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…