Another Internet Explorer Fault

Hi everyone......All afternoon i have been reading and printing off...help[ pages for repairs...It seems my problem might just be a bit different from the others..(you decide please )
I cant get as far as the "settings" to try a repair or anything else......
....all i get is a straight line of icons down the desktop.....is there another way i can get into the Control Panel....i have run out of try's

OS is Win/98/Me upgrade.......
Thanks for any help please...

Joy..........

VoG II 21:03 30 Jul 05

Start, Run, type

control

and click OK to access Control Panel.

Thanks Voga...tried that as you suggested..but got as far as click OK and the icons all appeared again from the top to bottom of the desktop.....what could this possibly be??
Just don't know what else to do now...this is more painfull than radiotherapy..

Joy...........

VoG II 21:45 30 Jul 05

Try a repair of Windows. Set the PC to boot up from the CD drive click here place your ME update CD in the drive and restart. Follow the prompts.

Thank You VoG.....I will ...........

Joy.........

Tried installing ME again....didnt work.....
sorry for the delay in replying....dont know what else to do now......apart from re-format..the thought of having to do that isn't good.......

Joy

DieSse 18:25 31 Jul 05

"and the icons all appeared again from the top to bottom of the desktop"

What icons are you talking about? - Desktop icons - Control Panel icons.

What is it you want to do in the Control Panel?

When you say you can't get into Settings - what do you man - when you click the Start button - what happens.

Sorry but your problem is not at all clear to me.

woodchip 18:32 31 Jul 05

Shut Computer Down to DOS, Type

SCANREG /RESTORE Press Enter, pick old Date before the Problem to Restore. Use Arrow key and enter key.

PS note the space before /Restore

Thanks everyone for your help.. I have been busy having hospital treatment all day.....this is my first chance of getting back for more help Please!!
OK..........Its like this as soon as i have the mouse over the Start button...A message shows up of icons like what you have on the desk top...only these are "vertical".... this also happens when trying to open any file ....i have tried to go back to a earlier date but it wont have it.........Anymore help please...will be very appreciated.....

Joy.

lotvic 20:53 01 Aug 05

Just to end my confusion.... Are you trying to repair Internet Explorer? if so, why? (what is the actual problem you have) and which version 5.5 or 6 ?

Sorry about confusion.....
OK my problem is this...I have os....98/Me/upgrade.......
It just happened like this.....I booted the comp...up.....put the mouse over the windows Start icon that is at the bottom on the left hand side....and straight away...an error in explorer appeared..i dont know what it meant..and since then i have not been able to explore or open any files at all.......each time i try to do this.....i get a vertical line of icons down the desk top.....and i have to start the comp...up again .....i do hope this is more helpfull than maybe my previous posts.............

Joy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…