another internet connection question...

ynohtna 00:58 30 Sep 06

Another 'get connected' question

Mnay thanks to those who helped me with my last question involving how i can get connected to the internet. I learnig lots about computers at the mo and this forum is a great help. My next question is this... at home my mum has 'orange' broadband on her pc, can i plug my laptop into this connection and use the broadband as well or can i only use it on her machine, if so, where can i get the connection settings from. the next question is that my mate has 'Tiscali' broadband at his house, can i set up my laptop so i can go round his and plug in... can i have lots of connections set up on my laptop so i can pick and choose depending on where i am... hope this is clear...
Sorry if its a stoopid question

also, i want to back-up my system (got thousands if songs on my itunes that i'd hate to lose!) im thinking about getting an external hard drive from pc world (400gb for £119). do i need any specail software to copy everything over...? once is saved on the external, can i delete it from my laptop to save on storage...?

thanks everyone

Jackcoms 06:48 30 Sep 06

1). Yes, you can set up Orange broadband on your laptop. Your mum should have a CD from Orange with all the necessary settings. Use that. You will need to know your mum's login and password details. Note, however, that the PC and the laptop will not be able to connect at the same time using the same 'phone line as there will be insufficient bandwidth.

2). Again, you can use your mate's Tiscali CD to put Tiscali settings on your laptop. You will have to use your mate's login and password details. Again, you will not be able to connect at the same time as your mate on the same phone line.

3). If you are using Windows XP you can use the built-in backup wizard. Go to My Computer and right click on Local Disk (C:). Click on Properties and then choose the Tools tab. You will then see an option to Backup. Ensure your external HDD is connected, click on Backup Now and work though the wizard. Once everything is saved to the external drive I do NOT suggest that you delete everything on the laptop. Leave it where it is. The whole point of a backup is to have an extra copy of your data in case your laptop crashes. But if you delete from your laptop and the external drives dies, you will have lost everything!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017