Another Internet connection issue

sheila.weston 12:54 16 Jun 05

I have just cleaned my windows xp pc from what, I think, was W32:sassar virus. I used the Avast webcleaner, followed by the Avast virus-checker, as I could not get onto the UK Symantec website. Norton did not detect the virus, although it was updated only a few days before.

The computer seems to function normally except for the internet connection, which doesn't always connect. To disconnect I have to physically unplug the modem from the wall-socket.Nothing happens if i click on the icon in the task-bar. The network connections window shows a 1394 connection AND a 1394 connection 2. Could this be part of the Problem? I notice that, by 'right-clicking', one of these is enabled and the other disabled.

Any help gratefully received!

Sheila

TomJerry 13:08 16 Jun 05

1394 is IEEE 1394 or Firewire. It is the faster connection port for IPod or digital video

if you have original windows CD, you can do a repair installtion

JoeC 13:14 16 Jun 05

will help or not, but have a look here

click here

sheila.weston 13:21 16 Jun 05

Many thanks, JoeC. This looks very promising. I'll work on it after lunch!
Sheila

sheila.weston 13:25 16 Jun 05

Many thanks TomJerry.

No, I haven't the original windows CD - only the repair CD which came from Mesh and may be the same and do the trick. I'll check it out when I have solved the immediate problems - may come back to the forum later on this.

sheila.weston 13:25 16 Jun 05

Many thanks TomJerry.

No, I haven't the original windows CD - only the repair CD which came from Mesh and may be the same and do the trick. I'll check it out when I have solved the immediate problems - may come back to the forum later on this.

sheila.weston 16:05 16 Jun 05

Hurray! I tried click here,
as suggested by TomJerry and am now back on line with updated Norton files. Very many thanks - it has saved me £40, as I was on the verge of calling in the experts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…