Another how to network 2 home PCs

carlos 11:32 08 Jul 03

Stimulated by FJ's enquiry, I am interested in doing same. I have two Win98 pcs. One is BT broadband connected via USB alcatel "modem". I want to allow the second PC to connect to the internet via the first( when it's on as my wife and I often work at same time ). I am confused by the range of products( routers, hubs, protocol g, b, wifi??) and steps neccessary and would be very grateful for some concise instructions. eg stick a X PCI card in both PCs and on the non-connected PC do this and this.

Psiman 13:14 08 Jul 03

The following assumes that your Alcatel modem connects to your first PC (server)by USB connector. Purchase two 10/100 ethernet PCI cards, one for each PC and one cat 5 crossover cable to connect the two. Setup is easy enough using network wizard. click here for more info.

Psiman 13:15 08 Jul 03

More info if you have Win 98SE. click here

carlos 14:26 08 Jul 03

apologies for late reply.....work does get in the way.....
Didn't make myself clear. Wanted to do wireless sharing, as a previous requester asked, but they had cable. I've got USB alcatel modem with BT broadband

Psiman 15:50 08 Jul 03

I think I see what your getting at. You wish to retain your main PC as your internet gateway (serviced by the Alcatel modem). Then you should add a "network PCI card" to that computer connect it to a "wireless LAN access point" and add a "wireless LAN PCI card" to the second PC. Total cost about £85. I think that's the cheapest way to provide the system you want.

Hope I've understood your requirement this time. Please advise if you would like typical model numbers. I use D-Link equipment for mine.

carlos 16:09 08 Jul 03

so its not as simple as sticking in a wifi, for eg, PCI card into each PC. The non- internetted PC then receives internet radio signals from the internetted PC's PCI card? Model numbers would be very useful, thank you. It'll help me to visualise what |I need. I thought I either needed the wireless connections OR network ( ethernet ) cards?
Help appreciated

Psiman 17:43 08 Jul 03

Just a small point but WiFi stands for Wireless Fidelity a sort of accreditation association for the IEEE 802.11(x) family of wireless specifications. Many leading manufacturers use the WiFi logo if accredited.

D-Link, Netgear and Linksys all offer suitable equipment. A visit to their web sites will help.

If you are sure your wireless net will not expand you could employ plug-in ad-hoc peer to peer wireless networking on each machine. I'm not sure how this would affect your internet link. I would go for a LAN access point every time.

What may be of interest to you is the latest peer to peer plug-in USB dongles based on Bluetooth, but note range is limited, only about 10 metres maximum indoors. click here and scroll to bottom.

carlos 19:51 08 Jul 03

Bluetooth may suffice for me. Am checking out now.
Cheers again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…