Another guide to backing up? I'm confused

SG Atlantis® 22:23 06 Dec 05

Right I have a compaq presario desktop with 2 hdds in it. The first drive is partitioned as C and the E recovery partition, the second drive is just D drive.

Both are 160gb drives.

C: 142gb ntfs
D: 149gb ntfs
e: 7gb fat32 recovery partition.

On another thread I posted woodchip advised I get Acronis True Image, but someone else told me Paragon Exact Image 7 SE was free on PC Pro mag (don't worry PCA, I subscribe to the dvd edition of your mag). I have created an image of the 1st drive and saved it to d.

But here's what's confusing me. As ya get no disks with the compaq other than a recovery cd it gets you to make, how do you reload the image if something happens to the hard disk and it has to be replaced?

Should I get an external hdd and clone C and E partitions over to it?

Please excuse the long questions. All my previous PC's came with an XP disk, and I just used to reinstall the operating system and start over, in other words "Yes that's right I never ever backed up before!"

Please help.

VoG II 22:28 06 Dec 05

Will Paragon Exact Image 7 SE boot from the CD? I use Norton Ghost, which will. So if the HDD gets corrupted (not fails) you can boot with the CD and restore an image.

SG Atlantis® 22:29 06 Dec 05

I don't know. How do I find out?

SG Atlantis® 22:32 06 Dec 05

It has a Recovery media builder, says it creates a bootable version of the application on disk.

SG Atlantis® 22:32 06 Dec 05

Is that all I need?

ade.h 22:47 06 Dec 05

Having to make your own recovery disc is positively mean! We're along way from the good ol' days when you got a full copy of Windows on CD. Whenever I have to re-load XP, I still use my old copy of Win98 for the upgrade eligibility check.

Wuggy 01:47 07 Dec 05

I've read your thread a couple of times and I'm a wee bit unsure exactly what you are asking so this might be a bit more long winded than it need me.
If you make an image of your C drive and save it on your D drive take the option, if there is one and I'm not familiar with Paragon Exact Image,to create it in sections ie. 650/700 MB if you have a CD burner or 1.95 GB sections if you have a DVD burner. I have used Acronis TrueImage for years and always create an image in that fashion. Once you have made your image you can burn the sections to CD/DVD and keep them safe. If your D drive ever fails you'll still have your copy on optical disks. If you then install a new D drive you can copy your image(s) back from your disks. If your C drive fails or becomes corrupted you have a different problem. Again with Acronis you get an option to create a boot disk from within the program itself (you can also boot direct from the installation CD but this will get out of date very quickly as the program gets updated in the light of new/improved tecnology. Acronis allows you to download free updates of it's latest 'build' which
contain updated drivers etc. so if you download an updated build you should create a new, updated boot disk as soon as possible).
IF your C drive fails you can replace with another, boot from your emergency disk and restore your image from any you have saved on your D drive. Likewise if you can't boot into Windows or you have suffered a very bad virus infestation you can boot from your emergency disk and restore whichever image you choose. I hope there would be similar options in Paragon Exact Image.
It's also a good idea to make regular backups of your document files, email, browser bookmarks etc on a regular basis using whatever backup program you have, Windows back up is fine. Then if you have to restore an image at any time you can run your back up program and update all your docs etc putting you more or less back to full working order.

Chegs ®™ 02:33 07 Dec 05

I would agree with Wuggy except in respect of the My Documents folder.I always move this to a seperate partition/HD so in the event of a recovery from the XP disc(HD recovery partition,or CD)the personal files are untouched on the other drive.Its easy to shift to another drive,right-click the My Docs folder on desktop/Properties/Move button and browse to where-ever you wish it to be.

SG Atlantis® 09:16 07 Dec 05

Thanks for all that especially wuggy, yes there is an option to create a boot disk. Recovery media builder, says it creates a bootable version of the application on disk

SG Atlantis® 09:17 07 Dec 05

So I then boot with that disk and point it to an image that I've created previously.

Now I understand my options.

Thanks again.

Wuggy 20:05 07 Dec 05

I agree with what you say about moving your My Docs to another drive. I used to do this until about a year ago when my backup drive had a hardware failure and I lost a lot of documents, files etc. I now prefer to keep My Docs on the C drive and run something like Karen's Replicator to put a back up on my D drive. That way I'm covered for all eventualities. It also means if I mistakenly delete something from My Docs I should hopefully still have it in my backup. (Unfortunately I do that occasionally as well.) If you use belt and braces you'll hopefully never expose your derriere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…