Another Fine Freeware Product from FastStone

Pesala 19:52 22 Sep 06

Having tried FastStone Capture: click here and found it well designed, I tried FastStone Image Browser click here which was also recommended on the Open Office forums.

It has some very nice features that make it easy to use. When viewing images in fullscreen mode there is a toolbar on each side of the monitor, but they only popup when you mouse-over the edge. The zoom tool is excellent. Click and hold to zoom in, move the mouse to pan the image. It works much more smoothly than Adobe Reader's dynamic zoom tool.

The viewer includes powerful image editing tools.

It takes a while to catalogue your images the first time that you use it, so be patient if you have a lot of large images. However, once that is done (as in Picasa2), it is intuitive and quick to use.

rdave13 20:32 22 Sep 06

Thanks. Will have to have a play with it.

WHU 21:55 22 Sep 06

Is it any different/better than Picasa2?

Pesala 22:43 22 Sep 06

Though I do have used it. I think it is limited mainly to viewing images. FastStone has tools like resizing, special effects, drawing tools to annotate pictures, etc.

However, even as a simple image viewer I think it is better. The interface is thoughtfully designed to maximize the viewing area, and minimize the mouse clicks. The only way to find out if it suits your needs better is to try it. Since the download is only 3 Mbytes, and the program is free, there is not a lot to lose from trying it.

Personally, I found Picasa just a bit too clever in the way that it sorted my images. FastStone doesn't seem to support EPS images. That might be a problem for some users.

Pesala 11:33 25 Sep 06

With either FastStone Capture or FastStone Image Viewer it is easy to annotate images with the text and drawing tools: click here

The Fullscreen display is completely free from clutter. The default zoom tool allows you to zoom and pan the image, which is fitted to the screen by default. Four taskbars for working on the image, browsing to other images, or viewing Exif Information, pop up when the mouse cursor is taken to the edge of the screen. click here

The Setting dialogue (shown in the middle of the screen shot) is accessed with F12 and offers many options to configure the image viewer.

Pesala 22:05 04 Oct 06

click here

Now that I have used it for a while, I think I will keep it. I prefer it to Picasa2, Which I had already removed before I discovered the FastStone viewer.

Totally-braindead 22:58 04 Oct 06

Maybe I'll give it a try later, thanks Pesala

Migwell 00:30 05 Oct 06

Wow what a prog, thanks for that, and it's free.

keef66 13:31 05 Oct 06

bump

so I can find this and d/l it at home tonight

€dstowe 13:45 05 Oct 06

There is a pdf tutorial available

click here

GroupFC 13:52 05 Oct 06

ditto!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5