Another Direct X 9 Problem!!

The Teacher 01:57 23 Jul 03

I have been trying for several hours to install DX9. I have copies on mag. cd's and I even downloaded from Microsoft. All goes well until it comes to "installing components - copying files" dialogue box when I get a little strip of blue indicating progress then nothing else at all happens. The box says that it should take a few minutes but 1 1/2 hours? I think not.

Anyone shed any light on this? My graphics card is built in, runs with an AC 97 driver, apparently fully updated, for an Intel 82801AA controller. I am aware that DX9 is not compatable with all graphics cards so could this be the problem?

Many Thanks

The Teacher

Lozzy 08:22 23 Jul 03

If you have any anti virus software disable it and re try.. Sometimes programs that run in the back ground gives you this issue..

The Teacher 23:36 23 Jul 03

I will give it a try but by running DXDIAG I have discovered that the following files are missing: dpnwsock.dll and dpnmodem.dll. I have no idea what these are, where they have gone or why they are missing. I assume that these are important files, I have searched my system and cannot find them, recycle bin, windows, etc., so how can I get them back?

Many thanks

The Teacher

brittas 08:02 24 Jul 03

do you have an earlier version - if so put it on - it may contain the missing files

MjM Hellfire 12:56 24 Jul 03

Try here for your missing files -

click here

You could also maybe try making a backup of the directory that you are tring to install direcX into, then re-install DX9 into the backup, if that works, then replace the original files with the backed up ones that have the dx9 installed. Might be tricky though and there are easier methods.

bennyc 12:58 24 Jul 03

You could just download the very latest version from iexbeta.com or on this link click here this version is DirectX 9.0b which is bang up to date.

instant^mash 14:08 24 Jul 03

DX9.0b available straight from windows update...

Solved 1 small problem I had :D

The Teacher 00:37 26 Jul 03

I will look at the links provided, ta. WRT downloading from the update site I tried that as well, and after waiting for ages (BB not available here until 13/8) I got the same problem. I will post on later whether successful or not.

The Teacher 00:43 26 Jul 03

Thanks for links but the site provided by MJM doesn't contain the files and the one by Benny C contains a directx 9 end user runtime and a direct x 9 redistributable, which one do I need?

Thanks again

The Teacher

bennyc 14:50 27 Jul 03

Ah well it all depends on what you've got at the moment and the version of Windows that you have got, if you read the link that i had in my post earlier it tells you what to use there.

Smiler 17:09 27 Jul 03

What os are you running as dx9 is not compatable with all os's either

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…