another company is using my domain

conigio 16:40 03 Sep 09

i informed my registra to close down my web page,now i find another company is using my domain name which i still own for another 12 months. is this action legal.?
conigio

Proclaimer 21:10 03 Sep 09

and what they took that to mean.

If you told the Hosting Company that you no longer need a host, then you own the domain.

If your host also registered your domain name (as some do) they may have taken it that you meant you no longer need hosting or the domain name.

Perhaps you should clarify with them what they have actually done.

Forum Editor 23:35 04 Sep 09

You simply pay for the right to use it for a period of time - often (but not always) two years. During that period nobody else may register or make use of the same name.

1. Are you positive the name was registered to you in the first place?

2. Who was the registrar with whom you dealt?

3. Do you have any documentation that confirms your registration of the name?

conigio 10:19 05 Sep 09

My use of the domain name is registered on the nominet web page

I would rather not say who the registra is.they are also the host

I have since had my page re installed. I did not realize that a domain name could be of any value to anyone else. But saying that it does have over 7,000 links to it, and top of the page 1 in google.
The lesson is now learnt. be more carefull in future.
conigio

Forum Editor 00:31 06 Sep 09

nobody else can possibly publish a site to it, yet I understood you to say that was exactly what had happened. Did I get the wrong idea?

You can't have two different people using the same domain name unless they collaborate, and simply removing your site from your server space would not enable anyone else to use the name.

The whole thing sounds most odd.

conigio 10:02 06 Sep 09

You did not get it wrong,that is exactly what happened. Am i allowed to mention the web pages in this forum.
I contacted the hosting company,and they said it would take 48 hrs for my page to be removed around the click here while they posted another page on my domain IIS7
I presume that is the end of the story. my page is now back again.
conigio

conigio 10:12 06 Sep 09

Sorry proclaimer for not getting back to your posting sooner. Thank you for your input.
the situation is now resolved. I think I should change my hosting company by all accounts they are a bit odd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5