//some 3rd party need geo

another checksum error

johnnyrocker 00:29 25 Jun 04

when i had this a few weeks ago i opted for load defaults and continue.
some time later i ran sfc because of progressive random freezing, and a while after that was met with the error.
'windows cannot start because the file windows system32/config/system missing or corrupt.
this resulted in having to do a repair of xp pro from the disk which retained my files etc.

my questions now are did i do right by again loading defaults (F2)continue or should i have opted for repair (F1)?
signed a worried johnny.

johnnyrocker 00:56 25 Jun 04

i shall be back

johnny.

Gaz 25 01:01 25 Jun 04

Bad memory has normally been the cause of such problems!

johnnyrocker 01:08 25 Jun 04

maybe i should expand.
had a major crash in feb resulting in a mate from work taking charge of my machine fixing, end diagnosis was boot sector on hd failed, saved what i could with his help and a couple of works machines, he then formatted and re installed xp pro decided processor fried, got new one, then decided memory spiked, got new one.

and now i seem to be going down the same sorry road to yet another destruction.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 08:31 25 Jun 04

^

VoG II 09:14 25 Jun 04
  johnnyrocker 09:23 25 Jun 04

thanks for that vog.
does it still apply in view of having previously run a repair/re install?
also it would appear to be way out of my league/capability but if the only solution i will have to have a crack at it.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 00:37 26 Jun 04

^

hugh-265156 00:59 26 Jun 04

hi johnnyrocker. print out VoG™`s link above and follow it step by step and you will be fine I'm sure.

when you run chkdsk was it ok? have you checked your hard drive further with the manufacturers recommended diagnostic utility and your memory with something like click here for faults

if your hardware checks out ok then its more than likely software causing the problem. i would save your self some headaches, purchase and create an image of xp as soon as its up and running again with acronis or ghost etc and then install updates and minimal software. if that works ok for a day or two create an image of this for safe keeping. then install the rest.

johnnyrocker 01:14 26 Jun 04

hey huggy thanks for suggestions but they are way outside my technical capabilities. if you got a television/video not working i could probably sort it, i really am not confident of messing with registry etc and to boot i do not understand why the reinstall? or whatever it was did not solve my probs,
when i ran sfc/scanow i had to select retry about 46 times before it completed the function which georgemac told me was something i should not have had to do and as a result i am mystified and so afraid of another wipeout.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…