Another AVG Help needed

Demora 11:38 26 Mar 04

My husbands pc has developed a regular error message. 'Virus' Trojanhorse Downloader Dyfica.v found in 'C:\system volume information\restore. then loads of numbers.

Right clicking this folder and looking at the properties it says 0bytes. Searching drive 'C' nothing comes up for this. I can't find anything that relates to it.

Is AVG having me on.

It tells me to scan the drive using AVG for windows. It then finds Nothing.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:46 26 Mar 04

You need to turn restore off then re run scan it should fix it then.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:48 26 Mar 04

To turn restore off right clcik my comp then clcikc the system restore tab and tick the turn of system restore clcik ok (you will lose all restore points) then scan system and then turn system restore back on by unticking the box u ticked.

Demora 11:53 26 Mar 04

Ok Doing it now......

dth 12:02 26 Mar 04

System restore is a facility included under Windows XP and Windows ME - that keeps a copy of the main system files each day. The idea is that if you have a problem with your P/C you can select to 'restore it' back to an earlier state.

The problem you have is that a copy of the 'trojan' has been made within the system Restore folder. Your A/V program cannot access this folder (as Windows does not allow it)- so you need to stop the System Restore. This will have the affect of removing all the restore points made by your p/c (including the folder with the trojan). You should then re-start System Restore - as it can be a valuable facility in some cases.

If you right-click on the 'my computer' icon on your desktop - you should find the option to switch off (and on) system restore.

Please post back if you have any problems.

Demora 12:12 26 Mar 04

Y'know so far its ok. I should have known this.

Thanks for the Help. I've made a cut n paste document to go into my PDA for future ref.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:17 26 Mar 04

You will probably have deleted the virus with the restore points as by default when u turn system restore off it deletes your restore points and all the info in them,but still worth a scan to be sure.

Demora 12:27 26 Mar 04

Thanks. All seems peaceful now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…