Anonymous Virus????

daveac41 13:42 22 Sep 04

Running Windows XP. My AVG has suddenly stopped working. Zone Alarm wouldn't help, so I uninstalled it. When I go into Google and try to access Symantec,Sophos, Norton I get "page cannot be displayed" notices with each site.(Other normal sites are accessible) Further to this I've tried System Restore on various dates but it won't restore. I tried to uninstall AVG but it wouldn't let me.

Any ideas, anyone, please??????

curlylad 14:38 22 Sep 04

I presume you have already tried to remove AVG via add/remove programs.You could also try Start , all programs , then hover over AVG , go over to drop down box and click on Uninstall.
If this doesn't work try a free uninstall program like My Uninstaller , you can get this here click here

palinka 17:20 22 Sep 04

I'm not an expert, but it sounds suspiciously similar to a problem I had click here
I used most of the tools suggested and they cured the problem.

daveac41 19:25 22 Sep 04

Thanks for help received so far - but most of "click heres" are getting ignored. Whatevere this is - it recognizes every virus checker I try. E.G. I even tried downloading "Sophos" via E-mule (yes, I know!!)- when I tried to unzip it Winzip just returned me to my Windows Explorer page.

VoG II 19:27 22 Sep 04

Try eScan click here

stalion 19:37 22 Sep 04

are you using windows firewall?

daveac41 19:44 22 Sep 04

Thanks VoG, but that's getting ignored too..................stalion , I was on Zone Alarm but took it off at the beginning of this bit of bother..........

stalion 19:46 22 Sep 04

have you installed xp2 zone alarm firewall has problems with it

VoG II 19:47 22 Sep 04

All I can suggest is to download Stinger click here onto a floppy using a different PC. Write lock the floppy using the tab. Then run Stinger off the floppy on your PC.

stalion 19:59 22 Sep 04

try running escan in safe mode

talia 20:24 22 Sep 04

you will need to disable AVG in your start menu through MSCONFIG before you remove it.

VoG is right, downlodd stinger onto a floppy and run it in Safe Mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…