Anon internet surfing - is it for real?

FreddyNoFriends 00:31 27 Jan 06

Someone told me today that regardless of what steps one might take, there is no such thing as a "hidden ISP" with regard to a single home PC, even when using proxy servers, firewalls, etc, and if determined enough, any company/governement agency/hacker will be able to find you and/or your true ISP.

Just curious...is that true?

FreddyNoFriends 01:23 27 Jan 06

Anyone...?

Belatucadrus 01:42 27 Jan 06
  GANDALF <|:-)> 07:54 27 Jan 06

This is true. Thee is no such thing as anonymous surfing. A hacker would not be interested in home computers so they would not be bothered about your IP address which, in most cases, changes everytime you are on the net..

I do question why a home user would want to surf anonymously unless they are ultra paranoid, are looking at well-dodgy sites or have an inflated sense of their own importance. Wanting to surf anonymous;ly is utter nonsense.

G

Chegs ®™ 08:56 27 Jan 06

Only reason I can think anyone might want to try and surf anonymously is if they lived in an oppressive regime such as China's.

FreddyNoFriends 09:28 27 Jan 06

Thanks for the info.

I'm interested in your speculation as to why someone would wish to remain anonymous on the internet. I dont look at well-dodgy sites, do not have "an inflated sense of my own importance", live in China or wear tin-foil hats on a regular basis.

However, I do know a little about what goes on in the security services and simply dont like to think that someone is able to watch what I do regardless of how harmless it is. But thats just me, obviously.

Chegs ®™ 09:37 27 Jan 06

"...simply dont like to think that someone is able to watch what I do regardless of how harmless it is."

So you dont venture out as the chances are you'll be observed on a town/city CCTV system,shops have more CCTV,all transactions are relayed to the relevant dept which keeps your CC details,TV licence has your home address,etc.

All these are completely harmless.If your that concerned I presume you shred your rubbish before leaving it out for the binmen?(although this is a good idea regardless due to the increases in ID theft of late)

FreddyNoFriends 02:31 28 Jan 06

Yes, I shred my documents before binning them - bit silly not to these days.
And I dont mind being on CCTV in town as I can see the cameras and I know it's probably just some police employee sat there watching several screens with better things to do than worry about me bumbling around the shops.

I guess what I dont like is the idea that any one of several agencies anywhere in the world, be they government or private, can snoop on my internet activities without me having any idea at all that they are doing it, who they are, or why. Strangely enough, if they announced they were doing it and why, I think I'd be quite happy and wouldnt give a toss - I've got nothing to hide. I guess it's just the principal...

FreddyNoFriends 02:32 28 Jan 06

And I dont mind being on CCTV in town as I can see the cameras and I know it's probably just some police employee sat there watching several screens with better things to do than worry about me bumbling around the shops.

I guess what I dont like is the idea that any one of several agencies anywhere in the world, be they government or private, can snoop on my internet activities without me having any idea at all that they are doing it, who they are, or why. Strangely enough, if they announced they were doing it and why, I think I'd be quite happy and wouldnt give a toss - I've got nothing to hide. I guess it's just the principal...

FreddyNoFriends 02:32 28 Jan 06

FreddyNoFriends 02:35 28 Jan 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…