Annoying reboot problem

Mutant_Llama 22:28 04 Oct 03

For sometime now I have been having problems with my PC rebooting just before it gets to desktop.

It was not down to the BLASTER virus or the known issue on the Microsoft website (I made sure my system was clean of these problems).

I reinstalled WIndows on top of the existing copy but still no good. In the end I deleted the current partition, created a new one and reinstalled Windows on a fresh formatted C:\ drive.

Since then the problem totally disappeared for about a month when it suddenly appeared again.
I was playing Day of Defeat when suddenly my PC froze and was playing the same noises over and over again in a loop. I had no option but too turn the PC off but when I turned it back on it starting rebooting just before desktop again.

I booted in safe mode and it started installing the sound drivers again, which I found a little odd. I rebooted in normal mode but the Windows screen was in poor resolution as though I had no Graphics card drivers installed. In 8 attempts I got to desktop once and it started running GATOR (damn spyware) so I turned this off and prevented it access to the internet via my firewall.

I rebooted again but still no good, constant rebooting...

I have now formatted my HDD once more, fully updated Windows and all seems ok again (until it next happens...)

XP1900+
1GB RAM
60MB HDD
Asus A7A-266E Mobo alimagic chipset
Radeon 9700PRO GPU

Any ideas on this, im starting to think the Mobo is knackered?

powerless 22:31 04 Oct 03
  powerless 22:32 04 Oct 03

Actually what os are you using?

woodchip 22:38 04 Oct 03

You may be Reloading the problem back on to your computer from a CD backup

Mutant_Llama 22:59 04 Oct 03

Cheers Powerless but I did apply that fix but with no improvement...

Woodchip, I have not reinstalled any backups on my machine instead I did a format and reinstall..

I am using XP Home edition.

The PC is not overheating and I have a 400W PSU...so should be enough to power the PC.

woodchip 23:08 04 Oct 03

I would suggest that you run Msconfig from run, remove all ticks in the startup tab other than system tray then had one at a time until the problem returns you will then know what the problem is. you will have to reboot after each change

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…