Annoying programme installed self on desktop-help

Liverbird 02:00 19 Apr 08

This is the second thing in a week that's appeared on my desktop. I cannot remember the name of the first one, but I sent that to the recycling bin then emptied the bin and it seems
to have got rid of it. This one has the same graphic (if that's what you call the picture that's showing on my desktop), it's an envelope, like you get with from Outlook to inform you that you got an email. Tonights one has the title 'Fwd Scanned Dust.' I right-clicked to scan it with AVG, but it then proceeded to open copies of my homepage over and over again. I shut the PC down to stop it as the click on the x at the corner to shut down wouldn't work. And anyway I couldn't have kept up as it was so fast duplicting. I could ignore it, but I may forget one day and click on it, or my parners daughter may, when she uses my PC. I just restarted then ran first a full scan with AVG, then with Spybot, and it still there and didn't show up on either. Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying thing. I cannot understand the reason why morons do such things. Thanks for reading this long post.

rdave13 02:38 19 Apr 08

Try this, download Superantispyware; click here and update. Reboot your computer and keep tapping F8 as it reboots. Should come up with a screen that will eventually show you the choice of 'safe mode'. Select that using the arrows keys. Press enter.
Once in safe mode run superantispyware in full scan. Delete what it shows.
Reboot and run another full scan.

ripvan 06:14 19 Apr 08

Liverbird, I had a prog that wouldn't shift.I downloaded a free prog called absolute file shredder. click here
It does what it says.You right click on the icon and ask it to shred it.Anything shredded is totally removed and unrecoverable.You can also right click on any file or prog and do the same.It's a handly little prog.Hope this helps.

Liverbird 13:56 20 Apr 08

I downloaded File Shredde3r.v2.0 from cnet. Thanks for the link ripvan. I'll try your suggestion rdave if that doesn't get the pest. My concern today is that when I clicked to download the shredder a spybot warnig came up which I clicked to accept, as I thought it was integral to the download. I just run spybot and it came up with the same warning (as I didn't tick to remember the setting)This is what it says 'Category: User-specific browser toolbar. Change: Value added.spybot Entry:(FOD4B239-DALB-4DAF.81E4-DFEE4931A4A) etc new data: hex39,B2,D4,F0,4D,8,E4,DF,EE, etc

Should I click on Spybot to remember setting and accept the change? The last thing I want is to create more problems, and as you can probably guess I'm still learning. Thanks

Liverbird 13:56 20 Apr 08

I downloaded File Shredde3r.v2.0 from cnet. Thanks for the link ripvan. I'll try your suggestion rdave if that doesn't get the pest. My concern today is that when I clicked to download the shredder a spybot warnig came up which I clicked to accept, as I thought it was integral to the download. I just run spybot and it came up with the same warning (as I didn't tick to remember the setting)This is what it says 'Category: User-specific browser toolbar. Change: Value added.spybot Entry:(FOD4B239-DALB-4DAF.81E4-DFEE4931A4A) etc new data: hex39,B2,D4,F0,4D,8,E4,DF,EE, etc

Should I click on Spybot to remember setting and accept the change? The last thing I want is to create more problems, and as you can probably guess I'm still learning. Thanks

Liverbird 15:06 20 Apr 08

I just shredded the offending file and it disappeared from my desktop. I'll wait for a reply to my question about the Spybot message before I tick 'resolved.' Thanks again guys.

birdface 15:57 20 Apr 08

click here something to look at if it comes back.

brundle 16:22 20 Apr 08

A file shredder only overwrites a file so it can't be recovered - if something is generating the files (like spyware) then it will simply re-appear. Your best bet is to follow rdave's suggestion.

Liverbird 22:09 20 Apr 08

I love this programme, despite only having on my pc for a couple of hours. Fingers crossed that everything is ok now. It looks that way. I'll leave it a few days then come back here and click resolved if no more problems occur. Thanks to all of you.

birdface 22:31 20 Apr 08

Hi.Just wondering if you have SpywareBlaster downloaded.If not I would think of adding it.

Strawballs 23:00 20 Apr 08

click here you could also try this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…