Annoying popup adverts (but they're not popups)

joelmb 09:53 13 Jul 04

Hi. Does anyone know of a way to stop the increasing number of layer> pop ups, normally built in Flash I beleive, that are now taking over web pages? They're so annoying, as, with old popup windows opening in a new browser window without toolbars which you can just move out the way or close, these obscure what you're trying to read. Really get on my nerves! An example is here.. click here

I know there's a 'close' box in this example but frequently the close box doesn't appear for a while to make sure you view the advert. Anyone know of a blocker? I'm guessing as its part of the page that probably not, and the advertiser knows it!

Bugzee 10:01 13 Jul 04

Hi joelmb

i have spywareblaster , and in tools there is a flash killer , the only problem with this is that some web pages wont load properly if they are flash oriented

Regards Bugzee

joelmb 10:04 13 Jul 04

That example isn't showing the popup now by the way... must be on random pages on the nme site. You probably all know what I mean tho ;)

end 10:08 13 Jul 04

that was what I was wondering ,, as have just visited it and , my Guard IE intervened breifly, but " allowed" the web page; BUT,,I THINK there iS soemthign there that is being "suppressed" BY my system, as my Guard IE now shows a line that it is " asking for permision to show".......

end 10:15 13 Jul 04

I suggest it IS " intermittent" as I have enabled Guard IE TO "see it", and it tis there soemtimes and not at others.......
???have you got any sort oF pop-up stopper ON your system. and OS would be useful for other members to know what they can suggest for you ......

joelmb 10:19 13 Jul 04

I have google toolbar popup blocker running, and im on win xp pro. IE 6. with SVG, Adaware and spybot installed.

Bugzee 10:30 13 Jul 04

I use pop up stopper free from panic ware click here and it stopped it instantly !

just a thought

ps end you have a reply on if you want a giggle

joelmb 10:38 13 Jul 04

thanks bugzee, but nope, that didn't work :( I browsed the nme.com website for a bit and soon had another one appearing. unless there's something i havent selected in preferences but i couldnt see anything.

joelmb 10:41 13 Jul 04

trying click here which apparnetly hasa configurable flash blocker (i.e hopefully you can choose whether or not to view the flash on any given site)...

Bugzee 10:51 13 Jul 04

I just browsed the site, and i see what you mean
my pop up stopper works ,but wont stop those annoying flash ones .

let me know how you get on !

Bugzee 10:56 13 Jul 04

have a look here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now