Annoying pop-ups

gplatt2000 14:44 24 Jul 04

Hi all. Recently I have had 2 extremely annoying popups. The first is one where a small window appears on the screen (usually appearing from the bottom then working its way upwards). It isnt like a normal window, and I can't seem to find it in running programs/processes. When I click the 'x' of te popup, the URL of the site I'm viewing changes to have '/#' added on the end, e.g. 'ww.google.com/#' The advert itself changes - sometimes it wil say I have spyware (oh the irony), other times viruses, other times that my computer isnt running up to speed etc etc.

Here is a screenshot - click here

The second one I have found is a blue toolbar which appears at the bottom of Explorer's window. Again, I cant find this in running programs or processes.

Screenshot - click here

I have checked for updates and run both SpyBot and AdAware 6, and Norton AntiVIrus, but still not got rid of them :(

Any siggestions what they could be/how to remove them?

Thanks a lot

gplatt2000 14:45 24 Jul 04

Sorry I posted the second screenshot wrong - it should be - click here

jonnytub 14:47 24 Jul 04

do you have the google toolbar?

gplatt2000 14:51 24 Jul 04

No i dont, shuold that stop it? Im usually against any little program I dont feel I need, but I have heard good things about it so might have to get it

johnnyrocker 15:03 24 Jul 04

what anti spyware do you have on board?

johnny.

jonnytub 15:04 24 Jul 04

google may be worth a go, enable the advanced features though, it is good as a pop up stopper.

gplatt2000 15:25 24 Jul 04

I have SpyBot and AdAware 6, both of which I have run but to no avail.

I've now installed the Google Bar, which will hopefully stop the opoups, BUT i have a feeling these popups may actually be the result of a program installed on my computer? So I would like to get id of them if possible.

Thanks again aeveryone

gplatt2000 11:32 02 Aug 04

Ive now got the Google toolbar running, and it blocks most popups, but sadly these ones are STILL coming up :(

I've run AdAware and SpyBot again, but again the problem still persists. This is getting more and more annoying, anyone got any other ideas how I could stop it?

Thanks again

gplatt2000 17:18 03 Aug 04

'bump'

GaT7 17:28 03 Aug 04

Try an online antispyware scan at click here to check if your PC is infected. Doesn't take too long even on dialup. Click on Open when the 'File download' dialogue box appears. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…