Annoying pop-up invitation while online

Newuser549 20:45 20 Jan 03
  Newuser549 20:45 20 Jan 03

Every now again while I am online, a message pops up along the line of "message to IP address ........ - come to our website for explicit sex etc etc". I won't give the site free publicity here, but it includes references to bunnies in its title.

Is there a way to stop this? I have a virus scanner installed, but no firewall (it is old-fashioned dialup access, so I thought I didn't need a firewall, but now I'm not so sure!)

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 21:06 20 Jan 03

try popup stopper its free and i am sur available from the downloads section.

VoG™ 21:06 20 Jan 03

I'm not sure if this will work but its a good idea to have it anyway. Spybot click here

bvw in bristol 21:06 20 Jan 03

Do you have Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, AdAware installed on your machine? They all help to stop these type of pop ups.

Try loading SpywareBlaster to start with, it should help you click here

You might have some spyware on your machine you are not aware of.

bvw in bristol 21:08 20 Jan 03

As usual three buses arrive at once :o)

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 21:08 20 Jan 03

sorry it's not
click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:29 20 Jan 03

You will have a cookie in your temp file. Go to windows explorer-C drive (main)-cookies and delte them ALL. Then go to Temp files and delte the lot. Then go to Temporary Internet files and delete the lot. This should stop the pop-up.

watchful 21:36 20 Jan 03

Try this link to uninstall Messenger:click here

Newuser549 00:21 21 Jan 03

Thanks to all - I think "watchful" had the correct diagnosis, as the popups looked exactly like Windows Messenger popups, and they were enabled on my W2K system. I've disabled Messenger, cleared out my temp files and cookies and installed AdAware (and blasted out the suspicious files it identified for me!!!!!)

VoG™ 00:22 21 Jan 03

You ought to run Spybot as AdAware is several months out of date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…