Annoying "Missing Shortcut" message

SHUNNA 19:12 28 Oct 03

After an aborted attempt at installing the software Easy PC Backup, every time I boot up, I get a Missing Shortcut window on the desktop. The message states that Windows is searching for TimeBack.exe. This changes to a "Problem with shortcut" window which says The file or folder "TimeBack.exe" that this shortcut refers to cannot be found. Clicking on the OK button closes the window.
can anyone suggest how to close it permanently? Oh yes, the OS is Win 98Se.

Pesala 19:22 28 Oct 03

If the shortcut for timeback.exe is in there, delete it.

If it is not there, from the start menu, click on Run and type MSCONFIG

Click on the startup tab, and see if the offending program is listed there. Then uncheck it, close msconfig, and reboot.

Gongoozler 19:24 28 Oct 03

Hi SHUNNA. I think the message is telling you that you have a shortcut somewhere (probably on the desktop) to a program called TimeBack. Probably all you need to do is find the shortcut and delete it. Shortcuts are usually desktop icons or Start menu items. If you can't find the shortcut any other way, search your C drive for *.lnk (that is lower case LNK). You will find a long list of shortcuts. When you find a likely one, right click on it, select "Properties", and look in the "Target" field. If the target is "TimeBack.exe", click on the "Find Target" button to confirm that the target really is missing, then you can delete the shortcut. Leave the deleted shortcut in the recycle bin for a while to make sure you don't want to restore it.

Pesala 19:27 28 Oct 03

Reinstall the program, and then uninstall it. In many cases this will clean up the registry database, which just deleting the shortcut will not do.

SHUNNA 19:57 28 Oct 03

Pesela.Not in the Startup folder and not in msconfig startup progs.
Can`t reinstall it as i never managed to get it installed properly. get ISSET_SE caused a general protection fault every time.
Any other suggestions greatfully accepted.

Sorry to appear stupid, but how do I search C drive for *.lnk ? When i type it in, in Windows explorer, it tries to connect me to the Net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…