annoying messages

cheesebloke 19:42 31 May 03

Every now and then annoying messages appear on my screen , when the internet is on line. A kind of non e mail mail spam. Any ideas how to stop it?
Colin, Kent uk

Valvegrid 19:45 31 May 03

Can you expand a little on what nessages are please?

Lú-tzé 19:47 31 May 03

Are you running winXP? If so, it is likely to be the messanger service which is turned on. It can be disabled safely. (NB this is not Windows Messanger.)

Have a look here: click here

Valvegrid 19:48 31 May 03

Sorry, got the Loch Ness monster syndrome nessages = messages

Lú-tzé 19:49 31 May 03

click here and tell us if this is what you mean.

Ironman556 20:19 31 May 03

If the above relating to Messaging services doesn't work, run spybot from click here, run adaware from click here. If they fail to find anything try the online Housecall scan click here

Valvegrid 20:35 31 May 03

As a matter of interest have you notice the size of the file thet's put on your hard drive from Housecall? it's 30Meg. :-)

powertool 20:58 31 May 03

Within a couple of seconds [literally] of going online for the first time with my brand new XP I had these strange message boxes.

I am told that they are designed to be used by network administrators to give messages out to users, but they can be used when you are on the internet to send these spam things; ironically, all of mine were advertising software to stop the very same pop-up spam things!

However, it is very easy to disable the messages as described above.

I am still puzzled as to who sends them and how they actually arrive down my phone line though!

Regards

cheesebloke 19:17 23 Jun 03

how do you stop these bloody adverts poping up?

Andybear 20:11 23 Jun 03

Language Timothy

Ironman556 00:49 24 Jun 03

Sorry bit of a delayed reply, (been busy revising for physics and electronics exams). I've not looked but I've seen it mentioned here before. Do you know if it's downloaded and unzipped or it if's created on the pc as a log or somthing?

powertool - All they need to do is find a user running XP with the right software and that's enough. The messenger is so that people can contact each other over a network. The internet is one big network so they can contact you via over that. The info comes down your phone line in the same way web pages do. I'm not onto XP (yet), but you may even notice a decrease in the speed of webpages loading just before you get a pop-up, which is due to the extra information being downloaded.

Hope that's answered a couple of questions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac