Annoying little problem... XP Pro Desktop!

Cloggsy 22:31 29 Jan 04

I hope someone can help? I've got an annoying little problem with my desktop on startup.

A blank 'notepad' document keeps appearing during the startup period... I dunno how to source where it's coming from, so I can delete the damn thing.... Any ideas anyone?

It disappears when I close it down & it doesn't appear to be in anyway destructive etc - it's just damn annoying!!!

OS info: Win XP Pro. (if you need anymore info, I'll greatly oblige... Just ask) Does that sound like an 'AA' ad?

Any help (or advice) will be greatly received ;o)

Thanks ;o)

Chegs ® 22:34 29 Jan 04

~.txt by any chance?

temp003 09:03 30 Jan 04

If it is a blank .txt file (or any other file whose file extension is associated with Notepad, such as .ini), the file name should appear at the top of the Notepad window that opens. If there's no file name, and the top just says Notepad, then it's just the application itself opening at startup.

Either way, click Start, Run, type msconfig and press Enter. Select the Startup tab, and look under the command column for the file name which appears in the Notepad window, or look for notepad.exe.

If you find it, untick the box, then click OK. Restart to see if Notepad still opens. Also, if it is a file, look at the full path for the file in msconfig, and delete it.

temp003 09:05 30 Jan 04

Last post, last sentence: I mean if it is a blank text file, delete it. Don't delete notepad.exe.

Cloggsy 15:02 01 Feb 04

This still isn't resolved... Any more hints?

temp003 02:19 02 Feb 04

Download Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel from click here

Install it, go to Control Panel and open "Startup" and look under each tab to see what applications are opening startup. See if it helps. Even if it doesn't, the small utility is a better manager of startup applications than Microsoft's msconfig.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…