Annoying Features of Outlook XP and MSN 8

cellulite engineer 07:41 10 Oct 03

It seems that the decision on what we can and cannot download has been taken away from us primeval beings. I refer to automatic decision making by Outlook XP and MSN 8 whether or not to download email attachments. I suppose it is a good idea but it is something I WOULD LIKE TO CHOOSE not a software package. I realise that viruses can be transmitted this way but isn't that why i spent good cash on a virus checker??
Does anyone know how to disable this annoying feature and place the decision with a superior intellect (or is it already there?). We have all seen T1, T2 and T3 is this the start of the the rise of the Billgatesinator???

alan 2273 08:53 10 Oct 03

for OE click on tools-options-security and take the spot out of Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentally be a virus , then click apply.

Jester2K II 09:21 10 Oct 03

Hang on, put your paranoia on Pause for a second.

First of all as alan 2273 has pointed out this can be switched off. Secondly this is put on by default as it stops the user from just idly clicking away at attachments with no thought of the consequences. Sadly not all people install AV software and fewer keep it up to date. So by having this blocking on by default the user is forced to think (even if for just one second) about what they are doing when they open attachments and maybe some of them will get Av when they didn't have it before.

So its not really that you can't choose (the option isn't difficult to change) just that hopefully by having it on by default some people might think a bit more careful about what they do before switching the blocking off.

cellulite engineer 12:46 10 Oct 03

Alan, many thanks. Cannot find the button to uncheck as i have Outlook XP and that option doesn't appear on the security tab.
Sooooooooo.... over to you jester to allay my paranoia and help me back onto the road of true email happiness ;o)

VoG II 12:57 10 Oct 03
  Jester2K II 13:50 10 Oct 03

Nope. You're right. You did say Outlook XP. VoGs link is the one i would have given had i paid attention.

cellulite engineer 15:30 10 Oct 03

Many thanks VoG.
Cheers Jester and Alan.
Will give it a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…