Annoying Excel and Word problems

Housten 17:16 PM 29 Jun 13

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I use Microsoft Office Professional 2003 on my Windows 7 64Bit Home Office Premium computer and it is in Office that I am having a couple of problems.

The Excel problem

I am, quite obviously, doing something wrong, but it is so obvious that I can not see it!!

I have a spreadsheet to record my wife’s and my share accounts with our broker 4 in total. I record the financial changes ( purchases and sales of shares, dividends and charges, etc. ) and I recently realised that I could get a total of the dividends we each get so we can use these in our tax returns, but I am now stuck.

If I use ‘left(d11,8)’ in say, cell p11, I get ‘Dividend’ in the cell. So I thought that it would be easy to ‘expand’ this and I have tried various things but what I need to do is to say ‘if the first 8 characters in column D are Dividend, then enter the value in o11 here’, although there will another 3 columns as well. I thought that this could be done by using ‘=if(left(d11,8)=Dividend,o11,””)’ but I keep getting “Value?” or “Name?”. I have double and triple checked that there are equal numbers of brackets, and I have tried enclosing ‘Dividend’ in single and double quotes without any change. As I wish to use this over 4 columns altogether I put a ‘$’ in front of the ‘d’, but this didn’t seem to make any difference either. I have, also, tried increasing the number of brackets, but that makes no difference, either.

This is beginning to make me really annoyed now and I am hoping some kind person will take pity on me and show me the error of my ways.

The Word problem Also I know this is a bit cheeky, but I put a password on a Word document I use regularly. But I can not find out how to change it! If I try to use ‘Help’ it puts you online and you are supposed to divine where you can find the answer is; or so it appears to me. Can anyone help me, please to get rid of this (accidental ) password?

Many, many thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

QuizMan 17:41 PM 29 Jun 13

Re Excel, what worked for me was =IF((LEFT(D11,8)="Dividend"),O11,"")

That is in Excel 2007.

Ian in Northampton 17:53 PM 29 Jun 13

Some people seems to believe that renaming a Word document as a .rtf (rich text file), then opening it with Wordpad, then saving the Wordpad file as a Word document should work.

There's also some supposed tools here. As always, proceed with caution.

AroundAgain 22:47 PM 29 Jun 13

Hi

I've also got MS Office 2003 Pro and have just found this page - Remove or Change Password

I've just tested it on a new Word document and it worked fine so it should solve your password issue.

Cheers

wiz-king 08:59 AM 30 Jun 13

Surely all you need is to auto sum the dividend column?

Housten 12:15 PM 30 Jun 13

Good Morning, Gentlemen,

Many thanks to everyone who replied.

AroundAgain, I followed your suggestion and it worked straight off. Exactly what I wanted, so many thanks.

wiz-king, maybe in theory. But what I have done is to have the 4 columns intermixed, initially. But what I wanted was to extract just the dividends from all the other information in the column where I list all the financial changes. I agree that once I get the dividends into their own account columns then auto-summing will get the annual totals.

QuizMan I think you were not 100% certain your suggestion would work, BUT IT DID!!! Many, many thanks! I thought I had covered all possible combinations, but I now think there are many more I did not cover. On the other hand, do I care? No! It works, which is all I want of it and so I am very grateful.

And to everyone who posted.

AroundAgain 12:43 PM 30 Jun 13

So pleased to hear both your questions have been suitably solved Cheers

QuizMan 17:37 PM 30 Jun 13

Glad to be of help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites