//some 3rd party need geo

annoying dial up screen

chiquita 19:35 28 Jul 05

I've just inherited a Windows ME PC with a newly formatted disc and all was well before I loaded the free McAfee firewall. Since then every 5 mins or so, the dial up screen jumps in. Have asked for help from the magazine by e-mail without success and got no help from the Help line on the disc sleeve. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution or is this a penalty for using a freebie.
Thanks to anyone who can help to rid me of this nuisance.

Chiquita

Zaphod Beeblebrox 19:44 28 Jul 05

mcafee may be looking to update from the web i dont use software firewalls so i cant give to much help but it may be worth looking through for anything relating to automatic updates see if it is set to auto connect
and have a look through the help menu that may help

chiquita 19:52 28 Jul 05

zaphod beeblebrox

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try
Chiquita

chiquita 20:51 28 Jul 05

zaphod beeblebrox

I left the machine running for half an hour by which time I would have needed to remove the dialup several times but am pleased to say that your suggestion hit the spot!
In the support page there was a cicle that needed a spot in it to say I did not want reminding for updates.
Thanks again.....Chiquita

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…