Annoying beeps

Newuser4608 10:55 03 Mar 11

My Acer Aspire is 5 or 6 years old. It came with Windows XP installed. I upgraded to Windows Vista. I have now updated to Windows 7 Ultimate, since when it beeps once about every 3 minutes and steadily if I try to download from the Internet. I have upgraded the Phoenix BIOS from 1.07 to 1.09.
Do you think this problem is anything to do with the BIOS and is there a way to stop the beeps other than muting the sound?

Strawballs 11:08 03 Mar 11

If it stops when you mute the sound it is doubtful that it is bios as that has it's own speaker on mother board more likely to do with windows.

northumbria61 12:07 03 Mar 11

Try going to Control Panel - Sound - Sounds Tab - then at bottom of screen make sure "Sounds" is set to NONE - click apply then OK - see if this makes any difference. If it does then it is one of your windows sounds that is most likely the cause of this.

northumbria61 12:16 03 Mar 11

Should have added - you will see the ones that are currently selected as they will have a yellow speaker symbol next to it.

woodchip 13:12 03 Mar 11

I would say its a overheating problem that BIOS Health page is telling you about Temps for the warning should be changeable. This could be a filthy CPU Heat Sink and or fan

ashdav 14:43 03 Mar 11

Download SIW (System Information For Windows) click here It doesn't install but runs from it's own file.
Under Hardware click on sensors.
This will show the temperatures around your computer.
Should show you if it's an overheating problem or not.

Strawballs 14:51 03 Mar 11

The beeps would not stop when sound turned off if bios it has it's own speaker.

woodchip 16:15 03 Mar 11

Yes but it also uses Windows speakers and sounds. Most do not have a speaker on the motherboard. If it as one it will be at the front of the Case at the back of front cover. And it seems to be a trend not to connect the MOBO speaker. My Medion Desktop does not have one at all

Newuser4608 04:26 04 Mar 11

Thanks for all your help. I set Windows to 'no sound' it still beeped. I checked the temperature of the motherboard with Speccy - 45-50 degC. Checked the fan was not working. In desperation I reset the hard drive and re-installed Windows XP. Problem solved! It seems that the Acer 3613 does not like Windows 7!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac