annoyance USB

alan 2273 18:35 20 Nov 03

My comp is XP 2200 As rock mobo 1Gb 266 DDR ( samsung ) Msi gf4 4800 graohics maxtor 80Gb HD.
The problem I am having and it only happens occasionally is when I start up it does not always recognise my Logitek USB keyboard, all I have to do is go into device manager and disable the keyboard and then re-enable it to make it work and the other day it wuold not recognise the DVD Rom but on doing a reboot it then recognised it. I use XP home with SP1 and all updates, AVG fully updated and XP firewall as I am on broadband. Has anyone got any ideas about this, as I said it is more an annoyance than a problem but it would be nice to know what is causing it.
Regards Alan

alan 2273 18:45 21 Nov 03

bump

Is the ADSL modem connected to a USB?

canard 19:39 21 Nov 03

IF you use NTL BB it is known to disagree with any other USB installations. In this case the answer is to get an ethernet card to get proper use of your USB ports. Equally,but less satisfactory, IF you're using NTL BB you could use a keyboard which uses a PS2 port. Sorry no ideas about DVD prob.

alan 2273 19:48 21 Nov 03

thanks for the answer but I am on blueyonder

A_World_Maker 19:52 21 Nov 03

alan..... blueyonder is one of a few NTL internet providers :-)

alan 2273 19:52 21 Nov 03

It`s connected to the lan port not USB, any other ideas.
Regards Alan

Yes, it's a power thing.

Check the keyboard in Device Manager, Power Management. It's a long shot, make sure it's not selected to allow the comp to turn it off to save power.

alan 2273 21:01 21 Nov 03

Thanks for that but that option was not ticked but--allow this device to bring the computer out of standby-- is ticked. could this be the problem.

Can't hurt to untick it to test.

alan 2273 23:27 21 Nov 03

Well I have unticked it so I will have to wait and see what happens.
thanks to you all for your help.
Regards Alan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…