anniesboy68 a thank you and a query

Totally-braindead 21:29 24 Jan 06

Your advice is the oddest I've ever seen, and for those of you that never saw it the advice was this for USB problems "Try switching the computer off and at the wall. Then hold the start switch in for 30 seconds or more, and then re boot. Just try!!!!!" and though I find it hard to believe it actually worked on these two threads click here originally and this person who was having a problem click here .Now apart from thanking you for this does anyone actually have an explanation of why this would work?

Angry Kid 21:40 24 Jan 06

^

woodchip 21:47 24 Jan 06

This should flatten the Capacitors on the MOBO that hold a charge, a bit like removing Mobo Battery clears the charge in the CMOS. and may have been the reason for the USB problem

Totally-braindead 21:51 24 Jan 06

Possible and reasonable explanation woodchip. Thank you.

octal 21:51 24 Jan 06

Interesting, no one actually asked if they switched their computer off and unplugged it, just by re-booting the computer or even shutting the computer down using the software switch doesn't actually turn the power supply off, its still running in the background. Considering the USB has power on it, by switching the computer off entirely could have re-set the power supply, I think holding the switch in might be a bit spurious.

That's my theory anyway.

jimv7 21:51 24 Jan 06

Resets the psu.

PaulB2005 21:52 24 Jan 06

See also this thread - click here - regarding USB and static build up.

octal 21:55 24 Jan 06

Sounds more like dirty contacts.

PaulB2005 21:59 24 Jan 06

I thought that originally but cleaning with Isopropanol does nothing. Only the method i described. click here Also MS answer to change the USB port doesn't always work either. The 6 times method was suggested to me and always works and has for others.

Also my Sidewinder is in the same place as loads of other USB cables and items but none of them are affected by "dirty contacts".

octal 22:14 24 Jan 06

I don't want to contradict what Microsoft say, they are supposed to be the "experts" but it seems pretty far fetched talking about static on a USB connector considering they should have either pull up or pull down resistors on the motherboard or even within the controller chip itself as its "seeing" the outside world and could get zap by all manner of things, including static.

PaulB2005 22:19 24 Jan 06

I haven't a clue. I can just comment on what worked and didn't....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…