Animal 'silver' eye

Please can anyone suggest a programme which can assist in eradicating or reducing the 'silver eye' effect on animal eyes - preferably free!
I have a very friendly pet dog who takes on the personality of the devil when photographed due to this problem!
Thanks
Wol

Eric half-a-bee 17:52 19 Apr 06

As reflection comes from a coating behind the retina the silver is only "replacing" the black of the pupil. Open the picture in Paint, click on "View" and select "Zoom" then 2Large" or custom to get a size you're comfortable with, then move to your dog's eyes and use the pencil tool to replace the silver with black.

Eric half-a-bee 17:57 19 Apr 06

Just as a side thought, silver eye is caused by the same factors as red eye in photos of people. If your camera is equipped with an anti-red eye function the mini flash that causes the pupil to constrict and prevent reflection from within the eye should also work for animals.

Thanks very much - I will try that however I have found the the anti-red eye is effective on fairly rare occasions.
- Wol

alB 18:43 19 Apr 06

Picasa has a red eye removal tool, don't know if it'll work for silver eye though.. click here ...alB

Thanks very muich - I'll try it.

- Wol

Eric half-a-bee 19:56 19 Apr 06

i'd be extremely surprised if a red eye removal tool works - with MS Picture Editor's tool the user selectes an area of the picture in which red is replaced with black - human chorioids are rich in blood giving a red effect, but the reflective layer in some animal eyes means no red for the tool to work on. If Paint is too much effort any picture editor that lets you replace one colour with another should be ok, especially if you can sample the silver colour to be replaced.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:50 19 Apr 06

Any graphics programme that has a select tool that can select a circle should do it, you can then make changes to the area within the circle that surrounds your silver dot.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:53 19 Apr 06

Few here
click here

De Marcus™ 22:07 19 Apr 06

I tend to combat 'silver eye' or 'pet eye' with the culprit pupil highlights being selected and the contrast and brightness adjusted for a more realistic and natural look. The guide posted click here takes a different but equally effective method.

Eric half-a-bee 23:02 19 Apr 06

Having spent a while playing around the easiest option I can find is to open the picture with paint, zoom in, use the eye-dropper tool to select the colour of a pixel next to the silvered pupil and then use the pencil tool to colour out the reflective pupil. It's fairly quick and you can go around the highlights easily so your per doesn't end up looking like a zombie - it wouldn't work for a large portrait, but if you don't wont Rover to look like Cerberus in snapshots it should work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…