Android Tablet - is Anti Virus protection advised- and which?

SparkyJack 07:43 02 Oct 12

Do Android powered tablets require Anti Virus protection?

If so what is recommended and how to go about installing the same.

KRONOS the First 08:27 02 Oct 12

Have a look for Avast Mobile Security which is what I use.It scans app and incoming messages. Unfortunately quite a few Android apps were found to contain viruses so I thought it might be advisable to get some sort of cover.

chub_tor 08:52 02 Oct 12

I've just installed AVG on my Samsung Tablet. Found it for free on the Apps Store

Matt Egan 09:34 02 Oct 12

For what it's worth I'd say that Android AV is pretty much useless, but you absolutely should have security software. Just make sure it has good anti-theft, data recovery and tracking components. The trouble with Android AV is that the threat is less likely to come from a drive-by install, and more likely to come from your installing a legit or semi-legit app. Or, indeed, your device being lost or stolen. So you need to be able to track and brick a lost device, and recover data from it.

I wrote a thing about this just the other day: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/security/3400697/how-manage-threat-your-smartphone/

SparkyJack 18:07 02 Oct 12

Thank you Mat Have read the pice and taken in. Currently I have another more pressing issue- The tabvlet has killed it self and system restore - won't- In tough with vendor - but I think they are 'Boxshifters' and don't know much. so am trawling all the Android forums.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nvidia Titan X release date, price and specs UK: Nvidia's new Titan X GP102 for 2016 launching on 2t…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This Superman ride is a real rollercoaster that you wear a VR headset on

Apple 12-inch MacBook review (2016): A question of port