Analogue telephone/networking problem

User-1289893 17:38 26 Aug 08

Our small hotel has an ancient dot matrix printer connected to the internal telephone system via a parallel port to ethernet adaptor. It sends a print signal to the printer when a guest makes an external call on their room phone giving an itemised call summary.

The printer has died so I have bought a new HP Photosmart with built in ethernet. Only problem is I cannot get it to work as before.

How do I configure the built in printer network settings...? The printer's Network Configuration print out shows no active network, DNS server, link etc.

Do I need to go through a router? Thanks.

mgmcc 19:04 26 Aug 08

I think this may be more complicated than it appears. Normally, a printer is connected to a computer which is running the appropriate drivers for that printer.

With a PC, the data to be printed is basically sent as a bitmap image which is printed out. Old dot-matrix printers, and some inkjets that could emulate a basic Epson dot-matrix, had built-in fonts and instructions could be sent to the printer telling it exactly which character to print and with which font.

It is possible that your system only has the facility to print plain text from a dot-matrix printer and that a modern inkjet isn't going to understand the commands it receives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac