Analogue capture

Beverley Stevens 11:39 20 Sep 06

I want to capture analogue video from my Hi8 camera. 720x576 seems a low reolution to me and many people also complain of poor imaging. I have not found a card offering better than this, can anyone help please ?.

rodriguez 11:53 20 Sep 06

720x576 is MPEG-2 DVD quality for PAL video. The reason you can't find a card higher than this is because 720x576 is the frame size of PAL video and if it was resized any higher, especially from a Hi8 analogue camcorder tape, the picture would look blocky and/or stretched. Also people notice the poor analogue quality more on CRT and TFT computer screens, as they have more detail. A standard PAL TV set hides the bad quality a bit. If you record your Hi8 footage onto the computer in 720x576, transfer it to DVD and watch it on a regular TV then it will look fine as 720x576 is the standard resolution of a PAL colour TV.

Stuartli 13:31 20 Sep 06

My Freeview PCI TV card uses Mpeg-2 for video purposes at 720x576 and on my 21in monitor the display, including text, is as sharp as a tack.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…