amset utility for maxtor hard drives

pookie 13:39 26 Jan 05

Hi

windows xp home, asus a7n8x-x, 1Gb ddr, x800pro grahics, onboard sound, 3Ghz barton, 550 watt psu, 40Gb hard drive and 80Gb maxtor diamond+9 7200 ata133 with 8Mb cache.

Re maxtor above - this is all new to me but apparently many maxtor drives ship with 'acoustic management' switched on. This is a setting that reduces the seek time dramatically in order to keep drives abit quitier. you can use 'amset' utility from maxtor website to disable acoustic management which increases seek time/performance alot but making it slightly noisier. bearing in mind all the fans/graphic fans/etc these days abit extra noise wouldn't be a problem.

has anyone used amset? - did it make any difference?

here is one thread i found from google:'The guy that posted on 09-23-03, is 100 percent correct about amset. I was ready to return this drive. This utility is on maxtor's website, only they make no mention of it until you type amset into their search engine. I used amset/fast. You will need a floppy to download the utility and have the boot-up files installed first on the disk. You will type amset, which will give you the options, which are: amset/off- which will run this drive as normal-normally loud that is, amset/quiet- which will quiet the drive, but reduce the seek time a bit, amset/fast- which will quiet the drive with minimum seek time lost and amset/check- to check your work after your done or check the status your drive is on prior to. This utility has reviews on it just type it in your search engine. This drive is now as quiet as both my seagates and western digital special edition drives and it is fast, and more enjoyable with this utility working. Oh and don't forget to enable floppy drive first in bios when your ready to use your newly made floppy disk.'

any thoughts?

cheers

P

pookie 15:01 26 Jan 05

bump :-)

pookie 20:22 26 Jan 05

bumped for evening crew

cheers

P

Mikè 20:30 26 Jan 05

Downloading it now to try it, I have 6 Maxtor hdd's.

pookie 09:11 27 Jan 05

ta mike - what's the verdict?

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…