American megatrends hijacks startup

burnlea 15:34 01 Jul 08

For some unknown (to me)reason my HP pavilion a330 PC running XP home SP3 now shows, after the initial HP screen, a screen headed 'American Megatrends' listing my PC components, which resets the computer clock to December 2001 at every startup. The only new item the PC has been exposed to is a new Kingston 1GB Datatraveler. Can anyone suugest how I might recover my normal startup sequence please?

peter99co 15:37 01 Jul 08

Is the item a Pendrive?

Mac70 15:44 01 Jul 08

for some reason, the HP post screen has been disabled. The MegaTrends is I think the BIOS manufacturer or something like that.
When you disable the HP or Compaq screen, you get that instead.

Quiller. 17:14 01 Jul 08

Kingston 1GB Datatraveler. and try.

If it still reverts back the bios clock, you might have to try a new cmos battery.

skidzy 20:17 01 Jul 08

Definately sounds like your motherboard battery is dying and would account for the clock resetting and showing you the American Megatrends bios screen.Cheap enough to replace and a simple procedure click here
How to replace the cmos battery click here

burnlea 23:00 01 Jul 08

peter99co - full name is Kingston 1GB DataTraveler100 USB 2.0
quiller - Datatraveler hasn't been in since. Still happens!
skidzy - thanks for the links - will give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…