American bought computers

Newuser4654 10:40 18 Jun 05

Can someone please advise whether a computer brought (bought over the internet) in directly from the US will operate the same as the identical machine bought over here.
Many thanks.......

pj123 10:53 18 Jun 05

Only thing I can think of is the power supply (110v) in the US. You may have to replace the PSU with a UK one.

johnnyrocker 10:55 18 Jun 05

one would have thought so providing the spec was the same.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:08 18 Jun 05

Will work ok HOWEVER:

1. Do not switch on until power supply switched over to 220V from 110V. If no switch on PSU a new PSU will be required.

2. The keyboard, language and time settings will be English US if windows is preinstalled. Easily changed in Regional settings.

SEASHANTY 11:36 18 Jun 05

....and of course, purchased from the U.S. over the internet, it will also attract vat of 17.5% and the courier additional charge for collecting the vat on behalf of C&E at time of delivery.

pj123 15:38 18 Jun 05

So it may not be any cheaper than buying the same spec machine in the UK. With less waiting time as well.

Meshuga 16:42 18 Jun 05

I can also visualise warranty problems in the event of faults developing.

spuds 18:52 18 Jun 05

If purchased direct from a US company, then UK registered credit card payment may become difficult.

chub_tor 20:22 18 Jun 05

I visit the States 2 or 3 times a year and regularly bring back PC parts, no problems except that US keyboards have a different layout and most do not have a £ sign, they also intechange @ and ", yes you can make the keyboard type correctly but it can be confusing when the character printed on the key is not what is shown on the screen. For a complete PC, the power supply will be wrong, but easily changed and for a laptop the charger will be wrong - but you can get over this with an external step down transformer. Personally I wouldn't buy a PC from the States via the internet as the risk versus reward ratio is very low, but if you happen to be over there buy now - the exchange rate is great and most components are priced $ for £.

woodchip 20:55 18 Jun 05

Keyboard from about £2.50 at a Computer Fair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…