America On Line

L plate marky 17:04 03 Aug 04

America might be but as a lowly UK resident I'm having great difficulty staying on line.

Is this AOL or is my pc causing this and how do I find out?

(XP and Dell 2400)

Thanks.

L plate marky 17:06 03 Aug 04

Sorry I should have mentioned that I get cut off every 5 - 10 minutes. I hear a "Goodbye" and a box saying "attempting to reconnect". It normally takes 8 attempts to reconnect.

Diemmess 17:19 03 Aug 04

I think it might be your modem or land line.
I have used Aol for as long as I have had a useful ISP connection - and very seldom (almost never) have I had a disconnection.

Just occasionally, if I am sitting here staring into space, I may get a prompt Do you wish to remain online? As long as I click Yes, the connection remains.

When there was a BT failure in this neck-of-the-woods, the BT engineer phoned to see if we had a connection and I mentioned fairly slow speeds. He offerred to turn up the gain, I accepted and have had 48K plus connections ever since, plus downloads reaching (very occasionally) 5K/sec...........Wow, Roll on BB., ordered but not arrived yet.

Djohn 17:20 03 Aug 04

Dial-up or broadband please?

rmriph 17:25 03 Aug 04

Hi have you tried ringing their free helpline 08003765432 they will be able to help.Good luck

L plate marky 17:34 03 Aug 04

Broadband. Dropping every 5 minutes.

L plate marky 17:36 03 Aug 04

... and taking 5+ attempts to reconnect, with a message saying an interuption has occurred ( 24 - 04 - 08 - 041)

Djohn 17:45 03 Aug 04

Device manager and scrolling down to Universal serial bus controllers. Expand the list and right click on root hub, choose properties, power management tab and remove the tick from "Allow this device to turn off when not in use to save power"

Also if you have other USB hardware on the same connection then disconnect them for a while, if this cures the problem you will need a powered hub. The USB modem supplied by AOL [BT Voyager] is a good one but likes to be on it's own connection or through a powered hub.

L plate marky 17:54 03 Aug 04

Just tried this to no avail. Still dropping.

Thanks btw for your suggestions.

Djohn 18:51 03 Aug 04

Are you using a powered hub?

L plate marky 18:59 03 Aug 04

No. I've been on to the phoneline that rmriph kindly posted (thanks) and after 2 calls ( the first of which was your suggestion) I hope to have resolved the problem. The second advisor went into connectivity services followed by the AOL autofix. (as a last resort he mumbled something about thunderstorms at AOL headquarters.) However at last I've been online for more than 5 minutes!!

Thanks for your attenton to the matter.

Mark.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced