Amend text

dagbladet 18:31 07 Sep 03

I have a form.I want to add a line to the form. When I try to scan the form I have a problem. The letterhead contains a Logo (a combination of a simple sheild shaped badge and three words) which is red and located in the top RH corner. When I preview the scan it is perfect, however when I actaully scan it in the Logo turns black and moves to the left hand side of the page with the words spread across the page in one line as oppsed to a block of three. Win XP, Lexmark X74, Works 7, Abbey fineprint 5 OCR, scanning as mixed text and graphic file to works word processor. My wife brought this problem home from work, as I said it would be a piece of wee-wee to do. Credability low and falling, help please.

Wak 18:54 07 Sep 03

I think you'll find that OCR programs are more concerned with getting the text and the spelling correct rather than the actual layout of the document.
I would suggest you first try to get the text sorted out and the line added in a word program, then copy the shield section of the document as a picture and finally add the picture (the shield) back to the text.
Hope this helps.

wee eddie 19:04 07 Sep 03

Instead of setting the OCR to do the whole page.

Use the Set-up to define the text area only. There should be such an option there somewhere

dagbladet 19:16 07 Sep 03

The OCR does an excellent job with the main body of the text. Its the bloomin' logo thats all to cock. Wak i sort of understand what you mean , but wouldn't have a clue how to do it, but here goes . I'll let you know. Thanks also lil' e, I'm not sure i've ever been near any of the settings in the OCR program, it just starts itself when i scan some text.
Did i fail to mention I'm a total duffer.

Wak 19:30 07 Sep 03

We were all total duffers once so don't worry about it.
When you do a preview on the scanner, there should be dotted lines around the document. Put your cursor on these lines, click and hold, then move the lines in so that they just enclose the text.
Now do the OCR bit and send it to a word program.
Later, scan again, put the dotted lines around the Shield, scan (copy) it as a picture and send it to a graphics program.
Now add the picture from the graphics program to the word document.
I have the X75 which I'm sure is very similar in action to the X74.

dagbladet 23:46 07 Sep 03

Cheers folks, I sort of managed it using the "Wak" text, then picture method. It struck me as the sort of thing that can be done in 30 seconds, even with the bog standard home software that I've got. Of course just when I got close to the finished article I had to move the logo 2 millimetres across and that was it, Tabs and text and margins all over the shop.......all hail the undo button !!

dagbladet 23:48 07 Sep 03

BTW Wak do you know if there is any difference between the X74 and the X75 ?

Megatyte 23:56 07 Sep 03

You need a mid to high end OCR programme to do what you need. Omnipage Pro retains all formatting but carries a hefty £400 price tag.

AH

Wak 08:44 08 Sep 03

Hi, the handbook I have is for the X74 - X75 models but it doesn't tell you the difference between them.
I know mine is an X75 as it has it printed on the top cover.
The difference could be something very slight like paper speeds but I don't honestly know.
Incidentally, the Ink Tec refills from click here are excellent value, quick, easy and with full instructions and tools.
Try the black only for starters at £9.99 for four refills.
Cheers,
Wak.

dagbladet 12:19 08 Sep 03

Do those things really work Wak. It's something i've never been brave enough to try. When my first printer ran out of ink, I just bought the X74.

Wak 13:40 08 Sep 03

Definitely, and the INK-TEC refills are really good, easy and clean.
Black refills are £9.99 for refilling four times and the colour refills are £12.99 for refilling ten (10) times.
You may get the odd finger a bit inky but it soon washes off and think of the savings.!!!
Have a look at the web site and e-mail me if you want any further help with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…