AMDvsIntel: Best for video editing?

targaid 14:32 12 Sep 07

Having had my PC blow up when I installed new DDR memory, my temporary fix now needs to be a new machine. With a budget of around £800 & no need for a monitor or speakers I need a machine to do video editing/encoding, photo-editing and gaming. Although in the latter I'm not bothered by the latest games (l tend to wait for budget releases rather than queueing at midnight on release date), so DX10 compatibility is for future-proofing rather than necessity.

I'm not sure about which processor house to choose, though. I know Core2 is generally more powerful, but like the idea of AMD's greener credentials & lower power consumption. Any advice gratefully received!

Why wont it work 15:04 12 Sep 07

I would personally suggest a Core 2 Duo. If you google 'core 2 duo reviews' I am sure that you will see that, in most circumstances, faster and uses and equal amount of less energy than the equivelent AMD model. Hope that helps

holme 15:22 12 Sep 07

You might wish to have a look through the similar sort of discussion in click here

I agree totally with Why wont it work's recommendations noting also that, if you happen to use Ulead's VideoStudio (v10 or later) for editing/transcoding, that's 'Core 2 Duo aware'. When we upgraded to that, it speeded up like-for-like number-crunching by around 30%.

I think someone said Premier Elements was the same, but I don't know if this applies only to Intel, or AMD equivalents as well.

Within your budget, even an Intel Quad Core is feasible. Now that really would be green - for a start we'd be green with envy... :-?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant