AMD XP or Intel Celeron - which is better?

barnettgs 22:47 27 Jun 03

I have been looking at budget PC for my sister for under £400. She's only want to use it mainly for internet and office, nothing more.

I noticed that some budget PCs with XP processor priced similar to Intel Celeron especially at 2.0Ghz. Which one should you think I go with? Celeron seemed to be second-rate to Intel's P4.

DieSse 00:10 28 Jun 03

Intel Celerons are in fact almost the same as Intel P4s, except that the memory cache inside the chip is smaller - net result is that (eg) a Celeron 2.4GHz will run slower than a P4 2.4GHz

The Celeron is an excellent budget processor, and runs very cool and stable, without the need for super fans that Athlon XPs typically need. - It will be slower than an Athlon XP or a P4 - but in a budget PC it's price, not performance that matters - and at these speeds they're all very quick anyway.

For dependability and cool running I would take a Celeron (for a budget system), every time.

Despicable Desperado 00:34 28 Jun 03

Agree wholeheartedly with DieSse

goonerbill 07:41 28 Jun 03

personnally i would choose AMD, yes they can run slightly hotter but ya getting a better cpu than intel's celeron, but as DieSse said in a budget pc "it's price, not performance that matters" and as ya sister is only using it for internet and office see what the best pc ya can get for the cheapest price.

professor 11:51 28 Jun 03

disse has part of a valid point....BUT an Athlon XP only runs marginally hotter and is a much better performer you can pick up a Athlon XP 2000+ for about £80 and a XP2400+ for about £110

overall the XP beats celeron all ends up and is cheaper too, but as its a budges system why not look at a Duron 1.3Ghz? at a price of about £40 you cant beat it.

prof

barnettgs 12:14 28 Jun 03

that I have found PC with AMD 2200+ XP which cost about the same to PC with Intel 2.0 Celeron. System specifications are roughly the same so I think I would be much better off with XP based system as Celeron based system seems to be overpriced.

Do you know that 2100+ XP is the last of the Palomino 0.18u core generation? New 0.13u Thoroughbred core from XP 2200+ and upwards, runs cooler.

barnettgs 12:18 28 Jun 03

I have decided not to look for any low performance system such as 1.3 Duron because sooner or later, you will be needing a performance upgrade to cope with today's office software!

Check out the link below for for XP system & upgrade to either XP 2200 or XP 2400. It's for under £400

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…