AMD vs Intel

Gary 15:26 03 Mar 03

This is bound to spark huge debate, I'm sure, but I'm currently looking to buy a new computer and have been considering AMD Athlon and Intel P4 chips. Different companies seem to recommend different things: some say Athlons are the perfect combination of price and power, whilst others say that the P4 is far superior in every way - including that it is more stable than the Athlon.

I am basically looking to get the most powerful PC I can and for this I think Athlons would have the edge. That said, a powerful PC is useless if it's unstable - so maybe I should go with an Intel?

Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations?

Patr100 15:30 03 Mar 03

It has already sparked huge debate - many many times as the question gets asked so often and recently as well . Please try a search for past threads.

goonerbill 17:18 03 Mar 03

as patr100 said do a search on the main help page intel v amd or amd v intel this question has been asked so many times people probably wont even bother with your thread

MartinT-B 17:50 03 Mar 03

History shows that Intel have no qualms about changing the socket (or even slot) that your CPU fits into. They have done so 4 times so far.

They may well do so again - just because they can.

AMD have only changed once and that was necessary as the original socket could not cope with the processing power.

IMHO AMD care more about compatibility. You can buy a duron and upgrade to the latest barton chip all with the same board.

gl69 18:05 03 Mar 03

I've got a Athlon all my friends have Athlons and I can't say that anyone has had problems in regards to compatibility. Personally (and I'm probably wrong) I think compatibility issues are made up to sell more of a particular brand.

Like-for-like both the same, but Athlon's are cheaper and as Martin T-B has said, you're more likely to find future compatibility with AMD

« Ravin » 18:07 03 Mar 03

maybe pca should create a user poll on this subject and settle the matter ;o)

DieSse 20:20 03 Mar 03

Yes, I would definately choose one of these. Or then aagain for a quiet low power life, perhaps Via.

DieSse 20:24 03 Mar 03

There is a user poll, it's called who sells the most (Intel by many times - something like 83% to 15%) - click here

urban gorilla 21:11 03 Mar 03

"I am basically looking to get the most powerful PC I can "
why a not wait a for the 'Clawhammer' then there won't be any comparisons to make.

DieSse 22:24 03 Mar 03

So why not wait 5 years, when processors will be at 12GHz or so.

If you wait, you can wait for ever - there will always be something else "coming soon" Always has been, always will be.

If you think "clawhammer" or whatever will be the last word, think again.

chris6891 22:32 03 Mar 03

amds tend to get rather hot ;) i know from a few of my lans i host at my house, the intels work gr8, usually see a side coming of an amd setup to cool it down harhar :D The games arent really intensive, just counterstrike till like 7am :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…