AMD Upgrade

Grandad D 10:12 11 Jan 03
  Grandad D 10:12 11 Jan 03

Hi. I am told that if I upgrade my Motherboard/CPU/Ram From an AMD athlon 850 to an AMD XP2100+ Palommino, that I will also have to reinstall my Windows XP Pro. Is this correct please. Also why is this. Ta Dennis

AndySD 10:26 11 Jan 03

If your Motherboard chipset is the same ie VIA then you robably wont need to reinstall. Even if it fails a Repair instalation should fix the problem without losing your Data or Programs.

goonerbill 10:33 11 Jan 03

the reason people say to re-install ya o/s is that what ever drivers ya have on ya h/drive for ya old mobo may conflict with the drivers of ya new mobo and course problems for ya. if ya know what drivers ( chipset, ide and other drivers spacificaly only for ya old mobo) are loaded, it is possible to remove them, install ya new mobo and then install there drivers without having to re-install everything.

goonerbill 10:42 11 Jan 03

as AndySD says, if the new mobo and old have a VIA chipset and you are using the latest drivers 4.45, all you will need to do is uninstall any drivers that are specific to ya old mobo ( onboard sound, onboard graphics etc.) and of course if ya do have problems ya can use the repair feature from the winxp cd.

this will teach me to wake up first before posting replies

I think we may be talking of the XP activation as well - XP will recognise that there are substantial changes to the hardware setup and require reactivation. You should not need to reinstall it though, but personally I would find a clean install preferable!

Grandad D 13:18 11 Jan 03

Hi, I found this on a web site.
(If the system is upgrading from T'Bird Athlon to XP Athlon, you are requested to re-install Windows. Otherwise, the SSE function will not work.) I think my Athlon 850 is not a T'bird. Any comments please. Thanks so far.Dennis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…