Is AMD Sempron & replacment for Duron OR Athlon?

Giggle n' Bits 23:47 14 Dec 04

I have seen a few things that seems to make me think that the Sempron is a bigger duron. But I carn't get me head around this mainly as the FSB is 333HMz

What would your view be, Sempron replace Duron or Replace the Athlon. I don't see many Athlon retail's around any more so I think Athlon but may be wrong. Thinking of building a machine is reason I ask.

Jeffers22 23:48 14 Dec 04

TomJerry 00:10 15 Dec 04

to compete with Celeron on price

Giggle n' Bits 00:16 15 Dec 04

I will leave post open to see what happens.

Sempron replaces the Duron or Athlon (Not interested in Intel.)

john.c 00:31 15 Dec 04

Depends if you are talking about marketing or performance. Duron was AMD's economy chip which has now been replaced by the Sempron. i.e as the Duron was to the Athlon. But the fastest Durons (1600 - 1800) would still - I think - outperform the lower end range of Semprons, but not the Xp's
- anyone agree ?

Giggle n' Bits 01:06 15 Dec 04

starting to shine a light on the subject, but not many people seem to answer to this post.

Should I be asking AMD Athlon, AMD 64Bit Athlon or Sempron for my next build ? Money not an issue too much but value for CPU is in a way.

dagwoood 01:33 15 Dec 04

BlueStar*, the reason for the different opinions is in the main due to how AMD have made a bit of a pigs ear of their marketing and the current situation is confusing as to how the different CPU's in their range stack up against each other(let alone how they compare to Intels offerings).

As I understand it, the Sempron is AMD's competitor against the Celeron and is the replacement for the Duron. But, at its heart, it's a re badged Athlon XP, working with slower clock speeds but with a larger FSB.

As to the availability of Athlon XPs, these are going to be harder to source as they will be fazed out during 2005.

As to your next build, if you plan to upgrade the CPU in the future, then a socket 939 Athlon 64 would be the one to go with, as it's socket 939 that looks like the spec AMD are going to be concentrating on at the moment. The only downside to this is that socket 939 CPU's are quite expensive at the moment.

HTH, dagwoood.

Jeffers22 08:01 15 Dec 04

AMD set up was:
Athlon XP+ was flagship
Duron was low end cheapie to compete with Celeron

AMD Athlon 64 is flagship
Sempron is low end cheapie to compete with celeron

Also, Sempron is not the full deck (as was Duron)

Hence my statement Duron.

TomJerry 09:55 15 Dec 04

go for 64bit

Giggle n' Bits 20:19 15 Dec 04

it looks like its the AMD Athlon 64bit is the winner. Thanks everyone and Merry Xmas to all of you guys/& Gals if your hear.

Totally-braindead 20:29 15 Dec 04

I'm also with the others here go for the Athlon 64, sempron cheaper but not as good performance for the reasons the others have already stated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…