AMD Processor Booting Difficulty

Night Ryder 18:05 14 Mar 04

I wander if anyone can help me with an irritating problem I encountered recently?
I am fairly knowledgeable regarding PC’s and building my own.
My most recent one has a “KD7-Raid” motherboard, which has been running perfectly for some time with a 2.2gig AMD processor and 1Gig of PC32 memory.
I recently changed the processor for an AMD 3.2Gig processor.
The PC boots up perfectly OK but I notice during boot up that the memory speed has
reduced to 333 and not the 400 I’m used to. All attempts to alter this in Bios fail,
with the system resetting this speed to 333.
This is not the only thing that has changed and probably the most annoying is that
after the PC has been on for a short while and I try to reboot, it can take several
attempts to get the system to boot. In this state the bios screen doesn’t even appear.
I should add that all system temperatures remain well within acceptable levels.
(Mid to high 40’s). Has anyone got any ideas?

Rayuk 19:04 14 Mar 04

Not an expert on Abit but doesnt this motherboard only support 266/333 fsb cpus and not 400 as the 3200+ is.

Rayuk 19:11 14 Mar 04

click here
Not sure whether link will work but it states when using Barton cpus it will not support PC3200[400] but revert back to PC2700[333]
What is your bios reporting your cpu as??

Night Ryder 19:18 14 Mar 04

Thanks for input. You are right regarding the fsb of this processor, however it is the memory clock speed that is being effected as it used to run at 400 with the 2200+ processor.
This may be a misunderstanding on my part regarding the relationship between CPU and memory.
I'm not too concerned with this at present. It's the multiple attempts to get the machine to reboot thats most annoying.

Rayuk 19:26 14 Mar 04

As in my second post if you follow the link and click on 1st faq your answer is there.The site seems slow so a little patience may be needed.

Also on one of the bios notes there is a mention of rebooting issues[may not be same as your case as it seems to refer to rebooting after failed boot up]

will post back if I come across anything else,you could try a Google for Abit motherboard specific forums

Night Ryder 19:33 14 Mar 04

Thanks for the link. Looks quite hopeful.
Will take me a while to go through the Q&A section.

Night Ryder 22:08 12 Apr 04

I ended up putting the old processor back and all
is working just fine now.
Is a shame however as I'd have preferred to
use the new faster processor.
Perhaps I'll stick to Pentium systems in the
future as they seem to be more stable and run cooler.

woodchip 22:23 12 Apr 04

I don't normally recommend it but this is one where I think a BIOS update may do the trick

Night Ryder 23:24 02 May 04

Already have latest BIOS. Thanks for suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…