AMD or Pentium 4

DanHerd 20:09 15 Jun 03

I'm thinking about buying a new computer and I'm unsure whether it would be better to buy one with an AMD proccessor or an Intel 4 processor.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to both?

beastieboy 20:14 15 Jun 03

P4 if you have the cash or AMD otherwise.... many geeks will tell ya different, but if you have money go with P4

I say geeks, I meant...... bach, I meant geeks

beastieboy 20:15 15 Jun 03
  beastieboy 20:16 15 Jun 03

Sorry.... Tom thinks differently... I have AMD personally but not sure at all:

click here

DanHerd 20:19 15 Jun 03

Is it worth paying extra for a 3.06GHZ with hyperthreading or just sticking with 2.66GHZ?

I mean, will the performance of the machine be drastically different?

dazzling (work) 20:22 15 Jun 03

what do you want it for? amd is a lump cheaper i have no experience of recent pentiums suposedly more reliable but i ve had no problems with athlons.darren

DanHerd 20:34 15 Jun 03

I want to be able to play the latest games, play games online and video edit.

rickf 20:55 15 Jun 03

To play the latest games you don't need a 3.06 P4. Just make sure you got a good graphics card and lots of memory. Wait fro the 5900FX to get cheaper which supports DX9 and away you go when games are written with this platform.

matt5705 21:03 15 Jun 03

i say p4 because my friend bought a pc with an amd i bought the same pc but with a p4 in it it had the same power in it but it just was not as quick

heres one i wrote earlier:

"considering the speed and reliability of modern processors your decision really (in my opinion) should be based on what motherboard you want, whether you want RAID ,how many usb ports firewire ports etc. find the best motherboard with the chipset that supports everything you want then your choice of processor will be made for you. truth is if you want the best then an INTEL based board with an Intel processor is the wisest choice and with an 800Mhz FSB you wont beat the speed.
look through the old posts here and you will see that the majority of hardware related problems involve AMD processors and VIA chipsets which are not as well integrated as their intel counterparts. also good software is written to take advantage of the internal architecture of intel cpu's. but hey AMD make a mean machine at a good price so like i say base your decision on the motherboard you need not just on the processor"

if you can afford a P4 3.06 with 800Mhz FSB with hyperthreading then thats the machine to have.

woodchip 21:16 15 Jun 03

It all depends on what you want to do with it, You also need to think of What you may want to use it for later. But there is not that much difference in ether, the biggest difference is £££££

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…