AMD or Intel??

Arthur Scrimshaw 11:56 19 Feb 03

I know this is going to be a can of worms but here goes! I would appreciate anyones advice on a new pc, most importantly the machine will be used almost exclusively for GAMING.

I am confused about CPU's - I thought I read in PCA magazine that P4 chips were better for Gaming, but on studying the comparison charts the AMD's seem as good or better.

I had put together a spec of P4 2.8Ghz, 512mb ram, Radeon 9700 pro g/c MSI 845E Max2 M/B(not sure about that one), 80Gb maxtor 7200rpm (big enough for me) plus 16x DVD, 52x24x52 cd writer, modem etc plus Win XP for £1150 (no screen k/b etc)

I am now considering replacing the P4 for an Athlon 2700xp with an ASUS A7N8X motherboard, which comes out about £120 cheaper. I don't want to waste money, but I do want the best I can afford and will spend the extra if it's worth it.

Please help before I do something stupid!

beastieboy 12:04 19 Feb 03

Go for the AMD and the Asus... although it really depends. Intel are much more reliable but are extra dough - you can overclock the AMD 2.

Janusz

duplo 12:12 19 Feb 03

The Difference between the two chip speeds is so miniamal. On some cames the P4 Is ever so slightly faster according to the 3D Mark, but on games like inreal tournament the Athlon edges ahead.

I would save £120 and go for the Althlon. (the nForce 2 Mobo is great for that!)

pj123 12:18 19 Feb 03

Have a look at this previous thread. click here

tenor 12:23 19 Feb 03

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.I would save the 120 quid!

tenor 12:44 19 Feb 03

P.s intel much more reliable?Rubbish.Reliability is no longer a question.After many years of computing the only cpu failure i have had was with a p166.Have used intel and amd the only problems ever with either were caused by trying to push them beyond their limits.In all cases the cpu "recovered",it was usually the graphics card that threw a wobbler first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…