AMD or INTEL???

Big Big C 18:26 10 Aug 06

Can someone please help me.................

I am looking at two desktops, one is HP with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with 1024 MB Ram 512 kb Cache with 256MB ATI X200 Graphics, the other is an ACER with Intel P4 3.06 with 1024 MB Ram 1MB Cache and 128MB UMA Graphics. which one is better??

Regards

Jak_1 18:30 10 Aug 06

From personal experience, I have the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ in my pc and have had no problem with it. Good speed even before I upgraded from 512 MB RAM to 1.5 MB RAM.

The HP with the better graphics also seems to weigh in the HP's favours too.

FelixTCat 18:30 10 Aug 06

Big Big C,

Better for doing what?

Simplistically, AMD are better for gaming and Intel better for rendering.

Without knowing what you want to do on the pc, it is impossible to say which is better.

Regards,

Felix

Belatucadrus 18:32 10 Aug 06

Better for what ? What do you intend to do with the PC ?

gudgulf 18:35 10 Aug 06

Better at what?

The ATI rig will outperform the Intel P4 in most things but not by s significant margin.For general office work both are ok....if you chuck in the odd game then the ATI X200 is streets ahead of the Intel onboard graphics.Having said that the X200 is not up to much when it comes to up to date games and is no match for a dedicated graphics card.

Big Big C 19:00 10 Aug 06

The PC will mainly be used for GCSE coursework by my daughter, internet accesss and I know that they both have games software - Sims and FIFA football etc.

Regards

ade.h 19:10 10 Aug 06

What chipset does the Intel system use?

If it is one of those that can accept the Core 2 CPU with only a BIOS flash (same land package) then that degree of future-proofing would strongly influence my choice. AMD is moving wholesale to yet another new socket (AM2).

sean-278262 19:10 10 Aug 06

I think the unit with the X200 would suit you better but to be honest that isnt exactly very good if the "Sims" is planned to be played as it will just not cope at all with it.

Do you have a budget?

Big Big C 19:22 10 Aug 06

I'm getting very confused about what everyone rates as good for gaming, my daughter currently has a Fujitsu P3 500 Mhz with an ATI Rage 128Mb XPERT graphics card and 128 MB Ram.
This runs the Sims, granted slowly at times, but bearing in mind the vastly improved system specs that both of the machines that I am considering have, I would have thought that either would have been adequate!!

All I am trying to do is to replace that old PC with something better whilst on a fairly tight budget.
It would be nice to be able to spend the other side of £400 (exc monitor) but I just can't stretch to it.

Regards

sean-278262 19:34 10 Aug 06

Not really, the x200 is reviewed here

click here

It will struggle, as far as I remember the x200 is in the same level of power as the one she has currently. If games are to be played like the sims then look for a minimum of an x600.

click here
and
click here
would be better than the x200 powered machine and all for under 310 delivered.

anskyber 19:35 10 Aug 06

Have a look here to see what they say and how they are rated. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…