AMD Opteron CPU question

Totally-braindead 15:37 12 Feb 07

I have been considering upgrading my processor for my ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe motherboard, socket 939.
I have a 3500+ Athlon 64 at present and was considering a dual core Athlon and came across dual core Opteron as well.
Can someone tell me how the two compare as I couldn't find much apart from loads of technical specs. From the prices of the Opteron it appears they might be the equivalent of the Sempron ie a budget processor not as fast as the full power Athlons.
Can anyone clarify this as until this afternoon I hadn't heard of Opterons at all.

bremner 15:47 12 Feb 07

The Opteron is AMD's server CPU, the equivilant of the Intel Xeon. It is a much more powerful processor than the Semperon click here

hi totally braindead, i too, have been thinking about a faster dual core processor, but have been advised if i spend over £200 on the fastest dual core i would probably not notice the difference so have decided to stay put

Totally-braindead 16:42 12 Feb 07

So given that its a server processor. How does it compare with a dual core Athlon?
I was looking at somthing like this click here 4200 dual core 4200 £93.99 versus click here Opteron dual core 165 £99.62.
Not set on anything just wondering what the performance is of each of these processors in real life and chose them simply because they are approx the same price.

i was told i wouldnt see any notable difference with this!
click here

Totally-braindead 16:55 12 Feb 07

adman 2 can I ask what you mean? No notable difference between the 5200 Opteron Dual Core and what specifically?

i have a same cpu as you, but im told all my games and o/s etc, wont use 64 bit or the dual core, they will only see the 2.2 gz cpu which i/we have already, im told when programs use dual core/ 64 bit there would be a difference but until then im wasting my money, and should stick with the 64, 3500, courtesy of novatech support & IT dept at work, suppose it depends on what programs you run.
just offering advice on what i've been told still very much a noob!

Totally-braindead 17:41 12 Feb 07

Thanks for that. I have to admit I'm in the dark with this as well. I agree about the 64 bit point but have seen people saying that they have upgraded from a 3500+ to a dual core processor such as a 4400 or 4800 and seen a considerable difference using 32 bit.
The speed the core runs at is in my understanding at least not the most important aspect in that a 4400 dual core regardless of the actual speed will run at the equivalent of a 4.4 ghz Intel and that is how they are marked. Your 3500 as an example doesn't run at 3.5 ghz but in real terms will run at the equivalent speed of a 3.5 ghz Intel.
What I was trying to find out is if the Opteron processor is faster or slower than the Athlon 64 dual core price equivalent.
Theres pages of info on all the technical aspects but it means very little to me. A nice simple real world test was what I was hoping for.

yeah i know what you were asking, i just wondered why you were thinking of upgrading and if you knew something i didnt.
so is the 6000 x2 equivilent to a 6 gz, with my programs or when its being used to its fullest, i wonder?, my brother has the 3800 x2? i think and that seems slower than mine, i just dont want to throw money away unless i see a performance difference

Totally-braindead 17:55 12 Feb 07

adman 2 I was thinking of giving the PC a bit of a boost and was thinking about trying the dual core and when I searched I saw Opteron and when I saw the prices got very interested.
The 3500+ is ok, it does run everything but sometimes when I have a lot of things going on at the same time and I'm flipping between them it slows up. Dual Core seemed to me to be the answer.
Might also get another gig of RAM as well.

i upped mine to 2 gb and disabled page file, and usually have second life and world of warcraft running at the same time with firefox, and i use nis 2007 scans dont slow, the only time i get a tiny bit of slow down is when ghost does a back up.
the IT man from work i mentioned earlier has told me that a lot of dual core's would struggle with this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac