AMD Motherboards

Mastermind 01:09 05 Jul 03

I building a computer for a friend.

Due to the amount of money they want to spend we have decided to go for an Athlon XP, possible a 2600+ 333MHz FSB.

However, I don't know much about Socket A motherboards and was after some advice.

I was looking at the Asus A7N8X, but am unsure of the differences between it's various incarnations. I was also looking at motherboards by Gigabyte and Abit.

faichfolds 01:14 05 Jul 03

Just built a system with a Gigabyte GA-7VA, this is socket A and compatible up to 400MHz FSB.

Around Fifty quid from

Must say am most impressed.

If there is a draw back it's got onboard sound, but it is dolby 5.1 compatible so who cares at that price

Djohn 01:20 05 Jul 03

click here and have a look round the site for technical specifications, building guides, and recommended Motherboards/PSU's. j.

Giggle n' Bits 01:30 05 Jul 03

most user friendly fitting and setup and use to be top for the price.

click here

Yes watch out there is a few version of this board A7V or A7N (VIA v Nvidia chipset)

The 54 ish A7V8X-X is my choice, I have found the Gigabyte GA7VA.. aboards with a Dual Bios to be slower on boot.

Onbaord audio and Lan on Asus board excellent even SPDIF for Digital audio as standard (Do you Sir!)

At the end of the day, its just my comment, other people will have there own.

Mastermind 01:32 05 Jul 03

Does that use a VIA KT400 chipset?

Can anyone explain to me the differences between the various nForce2 chipsets?

faichfolds 01:41 05 Jul 03

The Gigabyte board I mentioned uses the Via KT400 chipset if that is any help

Mastermind 01:47 05 Jul 03

What differences are they between the Asus A7N8X Deluxe, A7N8X and A7N8X-X?

clayton 02:06 05 Jul 03
  D-P-R 05:32 05 Jul 03

I have just bought a Asus A7N8X Deluxe, works a treat and had no problems setting it up and it has a lot of features

rubella 09:30 05 Jul 03

you might also like to consider the EPoX 8RDA+
[or variant of]. it's an outstanding overclocker, and an ideal host to the chip you are considering.

Mastermind 01:45 06 Jul 03

Clayton - Thanks for the link. Very useful.

I'm still not sure about the differences between the Asus A7N8X Deluxe, A7N8X and A7N8X-X? I don't want us to pay for features that my friend doesn't need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…