AMD Motherboards

chrisf1960 22:28 24 Oct 03

I was recently pciking up a monitor from a computer shop. Whilst waiting I asked the assistant if he had any Athlon processors/motherboards for sale, having only seen P4's for sale, and he told me they "avoid the motherboards like the plague". He said many> of the condensors (or he may have said transistors)on the motherboards melt or split.

Has anyone else heard of this? I'm an enthusiast of AMD's and have already built two computers whilst living in England (I live in Arizona now)without no problems at all.

TIA
Chris

SGT BARNES 22:38 24 Oct 03

i've had an AMD board in my pc for over a year and its still running fine , never heard of that sort of thing happening , heard of the odd CPU bursting into flames but thats pretty rare .

i think the reason they dont want to sell you an AMD board is because then you'll selfishly put an AMD chip on it and that wont make them as much money as you buying a pentium board and chip.

maybe me just being cynical.....maybe not

I have had AMD boards and processors for three years and have never had any problems.

If these boards were so unreliable, I think that this would be a well known fact by now.

Steve- 23:36 24 Oct 03

Just out of interest it may not be only from a desire to sell more profitable Chips.

There was apparently a problem with Taiwanese C's for a while have a look at this click here

SGT BARNES 00:57 25 Oct 03

doesnt mention AMD at all , i suspect that some of these could have even been on petium boards aswell

Djohn 01:05 25 Oct 03

I think the assistant who told you this is extremely ill-informed, and the information he gave you is baseless. j.

Scunk 20:13 26 Oct 03

I have been building computers since '97 and have always used AMD motherboards and CPU's and I've never had anyone come back saying the motherboard has packed up on them. I swear by AMD and have never had anything else, even this notebook is AMD Athlon XP-m driven.

AMD_MAN23 20:23 26 Oct 03

I have to agree with all off these guys, AMD are fine, although the low cost AMD motherboard tend to have problem and a much higher failure rate but the old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to fuition in this case, you probably will find that the shop bloke wanted to sell you the more expensive P4 setup, not very proffesional.

Colin

A_World_Maker 20:39 26 Oct 03

hmmm.. I have been using AMD chips and mother boards since they brought out the 386 40mhz and never had problems. I now run a 3.0ghz AMD for the last 3 months without error. The Shop Bloke wasnt wearing one of those fashion icon suits from Intel was he?

Doogie Howser 22:08 26 Oct 03

Interesting. My Abit KT7a Raid died suddenly about 4 weeks ago after 2 years of trouble free service. I'm not entirely sure which bit the condensers are but there was a fair bit of 'ooze' at the bases of the cylindrical towers on the board and several of them were no longer standing vertically!!! The board was well and truly dead! It sounds like there might be an element of truth to what Chrisf1960 was told?

However I have stuck with Abit and replaced the board with an AT7 max2 which is so far so good. Of course I couldn't resist a new processor 2 weeks later - and then a new case.... I now only need another MOBO to build a 2nd PC - and strangely enough SCAN have got some KT7a RAIDs in stock - tempting!

goonerbill 23:28 26 Oct 03

artical in this months PCW on this(cannot do full artical because of copywrite and possibly putting PCA in an ackward position).

some jap scientist stole a formula and sold it to taiwanese company on how to smooth the electrolyte on capacitors but he never had the complete formula and the capacitors melt. only abit and IBM have admitted being effected (other companies are also probably affected but haven't owned up). abit will replace boards if faulty under warrenty, out of warrenty boards will be looked at on a case by case basis but will probably be replaced.

this problem first appeared in 2001 and capacitors are not purchased from that company any more, so latest boards should be more than ok and as the others have said never come across any of these problems.

sounds as if Doogie Howser had a mobo with these dodgy capacitors. find abits uk address if they have one and send the board to them and ya may get a new one free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…