AMD Mobile Sempron 2600+ - Wireless?

GibsonSt19 17:37 23 Mar 05

Hi there, I have today purchased a laptop with the above processor installed. After reading details about the processor on the AMD website (click here), I assumed that when they say "Do anything you need…from anywhere. The Mobile AMD Sempron processor is compatible with all currently available 802.11a, b and g wireless solutions, so you can access your e-mail or the Internet from almost anywhere—the café, the hotel, or home." that this would mean it didn't require a PCMCIA card to operate wirelessly with my current wireless network.

Am I wrong, or right? Does it, or doesn't it?

Why would AMD see the need to mention anything about wireless technology, if it's the case the Mobile Sempron dooesn't 'do' wireless?

Your thoughts, as always are most appreciated!

TomJerry 17:44 23 Mar 05

CPU has nothing to do with wireless

check your laptop's specification to see if wireless is included in motherboard, otherwise you need a PCMCIA wirelss card

access net anywhere is just a myth or con

you need to get signal from somethere which is a wireless access point (hotspot), it only work if laptop is within signal range of a AP about 100m outdoor and 20m indoor

GibsonSt19 17:56 23 Mar 05

I have a Wireless Access Point at home, have another PC and a PDA which can access the net from anywhere in the house, through my Netgear DG834GT router.

My problem here is, why does the AMD site even mention wireless abilities if it doesn't relate to the processor?

I'm confused :(

TomJerry 20:43 23 Mar 05

"The Mobile AMD Sempron processor is compatible with all currently available 802.11a, b and g wireless solutions."

what a lot of inrelevent nonsense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…